Ten

"I will look for you in every lifetime."

Butterflies Rising

Bree came crashing into consciousness in a sterile white room

Bree came crashing into consciousness in a sterile white room. Snapping her head up, she looked around her. Bree wanted to know where Finnick was. When she saw there was no one around her, she swung her legs off the bed. Pushing up onto her legs only for them to crumble to the ground.

Bree groaned from where she had landed on the floor. Using the bed to haul herself up again. Using the bed, she got reacquainted with her legs again; she started to walk towards the door she could see in the far corner. When Bree felt something on her arm jerk her back, she looked at her arm. Spotting the IV line in her arm, Bree ripped it out.

Immediately, It set off a beeping sound that Bree ignored as she wobbled out to the door. Bree took a deep breath before opening it. Bree lurched out of it as fast as she could. She must have surprised the people on the other side as she heard a clattering as she fled down the hallway.

"Come back here, miss," someone shouted.

Bree ignored that as she carried on running down the hallway, her bare feet slapping as they hit the floor. She could hear the men behind her as the sound echoed off the sterile walls. When Bree came to a door, she threw the door open. When she saw it was empty, she carried on running. Bree could hear that a siren had started, alerting everybody to her escape.

Bree rounded the corner, barreling into an unsuspecting doctor.

"Where is my husband," Bree shouted hysterically as she shook his shoulders. When Bree woke without him by her side, she started to panic. When she had come out of the arena the first time around, he had been there by her side.

"I don't... what are. Who are you," the doctor stammered. He seems to be surprised to have been accosted by a half-insane patient.

When Bree realised he was of no use, she carried on running. However, the doctor had cost her time, and the man from before grabbed her. Bree suddenly realised that she was, in fact, in the capital as the man who had caught her was a peacekeeper.

"Where is my husband," Bree wailed at the top of her lungs as she swung and writhed violently.

When she got no response, Bree lashed out with her elbow, catching the man resisting her in the groin. The man groaned as he released her. Bree landed on her feet as she took off running again. As Bree ran down the corridor, she could see a group of peacekeepers coming from the other side. Bree spun around to head back from where she had come. When she saw that the Peacekeepers also blocked that way, she set her stance and waited for them to attack.

"Where is my husband," Bree howled.

She still got no response as a peacekeeper slowly started to make his way in her direction. Bree's only response to their silence was to lash out and punch the oncoming Peacekeepers in the gut, sending them tumbling back.

When the rest realised that she wasn't going to come quietly, they piled on her all at once.

Bree screamed, kicked and punched as many as she could, hoping that Finnick might round that corner and come to her rescue. One of the Peacekeepers managed to come in around behind her and stab a syringe into her neck. He pressed the plunger down before Bree had even realised what was going on. Bree felt herself start to go drowsy as she stumbled to the floor. The peacekeepers grabbed her before she face-planted and took her back to her room.

✯⚔️✯

When Bree came around for the second time, she was strapped to the bed. Bree thrashed about in the vain hope that maybe she could get out. Failing that, Bree decided to scream.

"Where is my husband," Bree yelled.

Her yelling must have gotten somebody's attention as the door opened, and four peacekeepers walked in.

"President Snow would like to speak with you, Miss Odair," the nearest peacekeeper told her.

"What happens if I don't want to talk to President Snow?" Bree spat out.

"He warned us that this might happen," the peacekeepers threatened her, "we have been given the go-ahead to use any force that we need to get you there."

"Sound like fun," Bree told them as she clicked her neck, "but at least let me out of the restraints first."

"President Snow wants to talk to you about your husband," the peacekeeper told her in a tone of voice that told her he knew that he had won.

Bree hated that they could use that against her, but she needed to know if Finnick was okay. She nodded at the man to tell him that she would come quietly. Bree put her hand out for the shackles that they brought with them. The man clipped them around her wrist so tight that she knew that would leave bruises. Bree hated the smile on his face, the face that said he knew that he had won. Bree bit her tongue to stop her from doing anything that she would regret later. Bree just reminded herself that she was doing this for Finnick.

When the peacekeepers took Bree to a large oak door, she knew that Snow was on the other side. Bree steeled herself for whatever he was going to do to her. Bree watched as one of the peacekeepers stationed by the door opened it so she could go through.

Bree stepped through to see Snow sitting at his desk, waiting for her.

"Ah, Miss Odair," Snow smiled at her as she walked in as if they were old friends, "how kind of you to join us."

"I was told you were going to tell me about Finnick," Bree growled out as she was shoved into the chair opposite Snow's desk.

"Yes, it appears I am the bearer of bad news," Snow told her, "Katniss Everdeen killed Finnick Odair."

Bree felt as if his whole world had come crashing down. Finnick was dead. Katniss had killed Finnick. "That can't be true," Bree sobbed, "I don't believe it."

"We have the footage from the games of Katniss shooting Finnick," Snow told her, "I didn't show it to you as I did not think you would want to see it."

"Finnick can't be dead," Bree sobbed, "No, no, no."

Bree hadn't realised that Snow had motioned for her to be sedated as she went on shaking and sobbing.