One

"Smiling does not necessarily mean you're happy. sometimes it just means  you're strong."

Nishan Panwar

Bree was sat across Finncik's lap

Bree was sat across Finncik's lap. Her head resting on his shoulder with his arms draped around her. They were comfortable and happy. Bree's parents Valerie and Leo, had disappeared into the kitchen to make some lunch. They all knew it was so that  Valerie and Leo could avoid the image of Snow for a bit longer. When a psychopathic man throws your daughter into an arena of death, it's hard not to want to kill them.

Bree's parent loved Finnick as if he was there own son. And in a way, he was, being there son in law and all. They could look past the horrible things that the two had had to do to survive and see the innocent people they actually are. They could see how happy the two made each other. They could see how much Bree had healed thanks to Finnick. They could never hate him for how much he had done for their little family when seeing how Bree was when she first came back and how she was now. They could never hate him for it. They could even see how much Bree had helped him without even realising. They knew the real Finnick and not the mask he put on for the capital.

Bree heard cheering and looked up from where her head was cuddled into Finncicks chest. "Mum, Dad." Bree called, "It's starting."

Valerie and Leo came back into the living room to sit on either side of their daughter and her husband. As if by some miracle, that could save them from what was coming.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Snow started speaking, "this is the 75th year of The Hunger Games. And it was written in the charter of The Games that every 25 years, there would be a Quarter Quell to keep fresh for each new generation the memory of those who died in the uprising against The Capitol. Each Quarter Quell is distinguished by Games of a special significance. And now on this, the 75th anniversary of our defeat of the rebellion, we celebrate the 3rd Quarter Quell as a reminder that even the strongest cannot overcome the power of The Capitol. On this, the 3rd Quarter Quell Games, the male and female Tributes are to be reaped from the existing pool of Victors in each district."

Bree felt the breath leave her lungs as she started to hyperventilate. She hadn't even noticed the tears streaming down her face. Finnick sat there blankly staring at the screen for her a second before he gathered Bree even tighter into his arms, rocking her as he told her that she would be okay. That was a lie. Bree was the only female victor of District 5.

Bree's parents let out a startled gasp before both wrapping their arms around the two of them. There was no question about it. The two would be going back into the games. Valerie and Leo, who were usually nice people and never wanted to see the bad in anybody, would quite happily have killed Snow themselves at that moment.

They stayed like that for a while, just savouring the feeling of being together. They all knew that Bree and her parents would have to return to district 5 for the reaping sooner or later.

Bree and Finnick lived together in 4's victor village. Her parents lived in Brees house in 5's victor village. But Valerie and Leo often came to see Bree and Finnick. They were a very closely-knit family.

✯⚔️✯

Bree stood on the platform, looking out at the sea of faces from district 5. She could see Leo holding a sobbing Valerie as he tried not to weep himself. Bree sent them a faint smile. Trying to tell them that she would be okay. It was a lie; she wasn't okay; She was far from okay.

Alina stepped forward to the microphone, her sequined dress winking in the light that escaped the clouds. "Hello all, and welcome to our celebration of the 75th anniversary and 3rd Quarter Quell of The Hunger Games. As always, we will do ladies first."

Alina then turned and took a few steps towards the glass bowl by Bree. Alina sent an apologetic but watery smile to Bree. Bree knew that Alina didn't want to do this, and she didn't blame Alina. Bree and Alina were friends, and Bree knew that was nothing that Alina could do. She was only following orders.

Alina dipped her hand into the bowl. Everyone watched as she picked up the single piece of paper before moving back to the mic. "The female Tribute from District 5, Bree Odair," Aline told the crowd, her voice wavering at the end, "congratulations."

Bree moved forwards on autopilot and didn't know what to do. She saw Alina extend her hand to her Bree took it. Gripping on to it like it was a lifeline. Alina gave her hand a firm squeeze, showing her support before dropping it.

"Now for the men," Alina proclaimed as she headed over to the other bowls. Alina dipped her hand in a moved her hand around; there were two tributes in this bowl.

Lysander Wyatt and Willem Knight. Lysander Wyatt was young and married with a five-year-old. Willem Knight was more senior and completely alone. Willem had long since blocked out the rest of the world in favour of staying holed up in his house. 

Alina picked out a piece of paper and moved back to the mic, "The male Tribute from District 5, Lysander Wyatt," Aline told the crowd.

She was interrupted before she could finish by Willem, "I volunteer as tribute."

Bree could see the look of relief that washed over Lysander's face as Willem walked over to Alina. Aline grabbed both of their hands before rising them in the air. Aline realising that Bree was on her last legs, then turned and dragged the two into the back.

The moment they were out of view, Bree broke down, hyperventilating and crying again. "I can't do it," She whimpered over and over again, her little chant.

Thankfully her parents were allowed in and ran and gather her up in their arms as they rocked her side to side. None of them said anything as there was nothing that they could say.