5. Talk Among Friends

German - 2010

Boss now stood in front of a small apartment building, facing a charming cafe called Pandora's Box on the ground floor. The owner, sharing the intriguing name of the establishment, wasn't just a subordinate but one of the rare individuals universally respected by Boss. With Mnemon by his side, Boss entered the cozy cafe, welcomed by the enticing aroma of coffee, fried pork belly, and eggs. Despite the late hour, the simplicity of this combination constantly stirred a craving within him.

In the corner of the coffee shop sat a striking young black woman with an impressive afro hairstyle, a fashionable jumpsuit, a modern-looking laptop, and a pair of glasses. However, her mood seemed sour, judging by the mountains of paper nearby. That was Pandora, the manager and one of his board members at VoidTech.

'German paperwork is no joke, huh,' Mnemon telepathically told Boss.

'It's the only reason Ma and Pa don't want to stay in Germany,'

'Pretty sure Ma wants better dental healthcare.'

Making their way towards the cashier, the staff was momentarily stunned at Boss's presence, immediately bowing.

"Wel-welcome, Big Boss," stammered one of them.

"It's okay. I promise today's not that day," Boss reassured with a smile and a subtle gesture to ease their nerves. His sudden visits tended to strike fear into the hearts of his employees, given Boss's reputation as the audit boogeyman.

"Just Boss. I just want to talk with your lady-in-check," he pointed towards Pandora. "Personal stuff only, so don't you worry about anything. No audit, no funny business," he crossed his heart.

The employees exchanged glances before returning to their tasks, an audible collective sigh of relief escaping them.

"So, do you want to order anything, Boss?" The cashier asked.

Boss looked around briefly. The restaurant had few customers; only about 3 had finished their meals. It was already 9 PM. He immediately went to the door, flipped the sign from open to closed, and returned to the cashier counter.

"So," he clapped his hands. "I want all the bacon, eggs, fries, mash, steaks, ham, and hash browns you have." The cashier quickly nodded, though briefly stopped by Boss.

"Hold it," he gestured to her, "I'm afraid you probably think I mean 'give me lots of stuff.' What I meant was giving me all of them. All you have left. Load them up on your biggest plate, multiple if you don't. Make them look like a heart-attack version of Schlachteplatte. You understand me?" The cashier just nodded in bewilderment.

"Now, what about the pancakes?" Boss inquired.

"Oh, today we have apple cinnamon, buttermilk, and chocolate chips."

"Wonderful," Boss smiled while tilting his head. "All of them, please."

"Next, for the drinks, six mugs. Yes, mugs, not cups. Two oranges, two milks, and two coffees. Extra cream and extra sugar, please."

"I-I think I will have to check with the chef first," the cashier turned toward the kitchen.

"Please, take your time," Boss assured her.

Boss then went to Pandora's place. Without looking up, she knew who was coming to her.

"Wassup, Boss, Mnemon." She waved at them, still sticking to the laptop.

"Pan, work ended at 4 o'clock. Why are you still sitting here doing this?" Boss took a seat.

"It's never-ending shit when it comes to this shitty company."