Chapter 10: You Don't Remember...

Word Count: 860

Warnings:

- Mild themes

Y/n and Brady walked to the front door of their home and opened it using Y/n's keys. As they walked through the door, Y/n noticed how dark the house was. The only light that was shining was coming from the small Tv. As they moved closer to the living room, soft cries were heard from the couch. Y/n ushered Brady quietly upstairs as she went to check on her mother crying on the couch.

As she sat on the couch next to her, she realised what she was watching. It was one of the old videos Y/n and her father had made when she was younger. "Mom-." Y/n was about to softly protest against watching the videos but was interrupted.

"Look how happy you were." She smiled at the Tv with tears rolling down her face. "And your father was here, and everything was perfect."

"It wasn't perfect and you know that." Y/n told her, still quietly but with a firm undertone.

"What are you talking about?" Her mother chuckled and shook her head, tears still falling from her eyes. Y/n's eyes went wide.

"You don't remember..." She said taking a deep breath. "After dad died..."

"Brady was born." Her mother answered.

"Yeah, but after that..." Y/n said softly and waited for her mother to answer. Her eyes went wide as she took another sip of her wine. "Mom, do you remember?" She put her wine glass down on the coffee table as more tears ran down her face. "You locked yourself in your room for days on end. You didn't work, you didn't eat, you didn't take care of us, you shut yourself out."

"What do you mean, I didn't do that..." She answered shakily.

"Mom-." Y/n was about to protest again but she was cut off.

"Stop!" Her mother yelled. "I didn't do anything to you!"

"It wasn't your fault, but you need to stop watching these videos, its not helping you. I don't want you to go back to that place." Y/n said as she took the VHS out of the player and put it back in the box with all the other ones.

"Stop saying that!" She yelled again. "I didn't do anything!" Brady walked downstairs to see what all the yelling was about.

"Brady go back upstairs..." Y/n told her softly but their mother got to her first.

"Brady, baby..." She said with a breathy voice and tears steaming down her face. She leaned down she grabbed both sides of her face. "I didn't do anything to you, don't listen to your sister. I'm a good mother."

"You are a good mother, you just need to let Dad go." Y/n told her as she stood in the living room, watching from afar.

"I wasn't talking to you!" Her mother yelled to Y/n, though she kept her eyes on Brady.

"Mom, let me go." Brady said softly as her mothers grip on her face got a little firmer. "Mom!"

"Oh..." Their mother back away. "No, I didn't do anything..."

"Mom, you have to stop with this." Y/n told her.

"Get out!" She yelled and pointed to the door. Y/n stood there dumbfounded, she opened her mouth to say something but couldn't. "Get out!" She yelled again.

Y/n accepted defeat and walked out the door. She made an effort not to slam it shut since she didn't like slamming doors. She sat on the chair on her porch and watched the small amount of cars drive past. As she tried to make the time pass she heard a door open and shut. She looked over at the house next to her and saw Kyle. He sent her a small smile and gestured to her as if to ask: Can I come over? She nodded.

He walked over to her house and sat beside her on the chair. They sat in silence for a moment until he said something. "I heard some yelling, everything okay?"

"Just Mom being...." She thought for a moment. "Oh well, she hasn't gotten over Dad, so I've been trying to help her through it but I think I pushed her a little to far this time." Kyle nodded.

"Is she gonna let you back in?" He asked softly but still avoiding eye contact as usual.

"Yeah, she always lets me back in." Y/n nodded and Kyle stood up.

"Well, if your not in for dinner, Mom always makes extra." Kyle said somewhat awkwardly and began to walk off.

"Yeah, thanks..." Y/n answered with a small smile as he walked back to his house.

I wonder why he came over. I mean, there was yelling but it wasn't really bad. Did he really care though? Did he come over for pity? Maybe he really does care, but it shouldn't matter to me. I don't care if he cares or not. But what if he does? What does this change? Maybe I don't just tolerate him.

Oh god, that was awkward. Who goes over to some girls house and weirdly invites her to dinner. Geez that's embarrassing, oh god I'm embarrassing. Why would I care what she thinks?