Chapter 13: Goodbye, Until next time.

"No." Said Wriothesley. "No, absolutely not. Your not dying for me." 

Neuvillette had explained the situation to him, but clearly it was not going to be easy to convince him. 

"Please, Wriothesley. You dont understand it will work ou-"

"I said no!" He interrupted. "I'm taking the fucking penalty! Okay? I don't care, you're not going to just throw away your life for me!" Said Wriothesley. He couldn't believe he would even suggest it!

"Wriothesley, just hear me out. Have you forgotten?" Spoke the Iudex, trying to explain how it would work out.

"Forgotten what exactly?" Said the duke, still upset about what Neuvillette had said.

"I'm immortal, Wriothesley." Responded Neuvillette. Wriothesley's eyes grew wide, a look of surprise on his face. How could he forget? But then, what did this mean?

"Oh god.. I completely forgot.. But, then what would happen if you took the penalty?" Said the Duke.

"Well, I would die.. but its not that simple. It would take a year or two, but eventually, I would be reincarnated." Said Neuvillette, with a slightly worried look. He knew that he would be reincarnated of course, but it had never happened before, and he didn't know what it would do with his memories.

Wriothesley had a puzzled look on his face, clearly trying to process the information. He stared blankly at Neuvillette before speaking up. 

"Rein.. Carnation? That's real?" He finally spoke.

"Yes. But it would take a couple of years." Said Neuvillette with a slightly solemn look. He would do anything for Wriothesley, but couldn't help but be slightly upset. He would be gone for two years, and of course there was the pain of being executed.. But he would be revived. And Wriothesley would not.

"I'll wait for you. No matter how long it takes, I would wait." Said the Duke. Normally under no circumstances would he let somebody that he cared about more than anything die for him.. But with the condition of him being reincarnated, he thought that it might be alright. 

"So you agree? You'll let me take it for you? Please. I can't have you gone forever." He said with a sniff, the rain still pouring.

"I.. Yes. If you are truly okay with it, yes." Wriothesley finally said. His face still had a slightly sad expression on it. He knew two years weren't that long, but it would sure feel like it. Neuvillette's let out a sigh of relief.

"Thank you, my love." The Iudex said, kissing Wriothesley's hand. "The hour of your execution is not long away, and I must notify the jury of my decision. You won't face the death scentence.. But you will still be put in the fortress. Not for long, though. Since you live there, it would be a sort of house arrest situation.. But only for a year or so. Then, you will go back to your normal duties as the Duke." Spoke Neuvillette. He and Wriothesley then made their way back into the Opera Epiclese, notifying the jury of the current desicion. And the news spread like wildfire. In a matter of hours, almost everyone in Fontaine had heard about what was happening, and soon many had crowded around the Opera Epiclese. One of them managed to shove their way in, rushing to the Iudex.

"Neuvillette!" Yelled Furina as she ran towards him. "What do you think you're doing?! Taking the death sentence for some guy!? Who even is it!" She cried angrily, trying to push him (And was unsuccessful of course, the Iudex is a strong guy).

"Furina, calm down. I am immortal, I won't be gone forever." He spoke calmly, holding her shoulders in attempt to calm her down.

"That doesn't matter! You always refused others when they wanted to take the death penalty for their loved ones, now you're taking it for some random guy?!" She said, holding the same loud and upset tone of voice as before, squirming and trying to getting out of his grasp, hitting Neuvillette in the chest (And again it effecting him in no way).

"It's Wriothesley." He said sharply. Furina instantly stopped yelling and flailing her arms, and the look on her face went from angry and upset to one of sorrow.

"What..? Wriothesley?" She said now sadly. But she understood why he was doing it now.. "Why was he sentenced to death?" She said, now puzzled. 

"It's.. a long story. It had to do with crimes committed a while back. But Furina. I love him." He said, looking down. Furina sighed, knowing that he was going to go through with it.

"I understand. If he dies, you'll never forgive yourself. But if you die, you'll only be gone for a couple of years.." She said looking up at him.

"Thank you, Furina. The hour of my execution is here." He said with a sigh, and Furina nodded with an upset smile. The Iudex walked off, back to Wriothesley. During executions, he didn't allow anyone to watch as it would be too painful. But for Wriothesley, he made an exeption. He gave the guards a nod, signaling to let the Duke go.

"Are you sure you want to do this, Cheif?" Asked one of the guards.

"Thank you for your concern, but yes. I have made my desicion." He responded. And so they both walked inside. Standing apart from eachother, a tear ran down Wriothesley's face.

"I'm sorry.. You don't have to do this, you know." He said, sniffling. The guilt he was feeling didn't compare to any amount of guilt he had ever felt before. He was letting the one person he loved the most take his life, for him. Sure, it wasn't permanent, but it surely would still hurt.

"It's going to be alright, Wriothesley." Tears now running down the Iudex's face. "Wait for me, okay?"

"Of course. I could never forget you. Never." Said the Duke, trying to hold himself together. Neuvillette smiled for a minute before finally responding.

"Goodbye, Until next time."