𝐈𝐗

2297- 70th hunger games victory tour

peeta mellark was about 12-years-old (almost 13) when he first met eris eyre (well more like saw). everyone had been watching the games, and like every year there was a reaping and a game, every year there was also a victor who went to each district giving their apologies to families.

but this year not many people wanted to hear from eris eyre, they thought she was a monster because of the rumor of her eating people after she killed them. peeta's mother would go on a rant about eris whenever they watched games. saying things like she was a horrible person and that eris should be lucky enough if the capitol even gives her any winning money.

peeta didn't hate eris, even with all those nasty rumors because eris was just like him. a kid.

so when the victor tour started up, peeta counted the days for when eris would come to district 12. he had remembered her favorite cake being a blueberry shortcake. he's never heard of such a cake, he's only ever heard of strawberry shortcake but never blueberry. but alas, in weeks yet to come, peeta had attempted to master not only his decorating skills but also to better the cake.

so whenever he makes it, he gives it away for free by slice for customers to try and tell him their thoughts. and each little mistake whether it was too dry or too tart, peeta would better the cake recipe before it was finally perfect.

the morning of eris' arrival to district 12, peeta had gotten early to the bakery to decorate the cake and placed it in the bakery case, smiling proudly at his work accomplishment.

𓆱

around 8 AM, everyone had headed off to the town square. peeta had joined his family on their way over. his mother had asked what was he doing at the bakery so early and peeta just shared he needed to check on something. peeta's older brother, rye had make a comment about how peeta was making a cake for his imaginary girlfriend.

peeta stays quiet as they continued onto the town square before seeing some flowers growing on the ground, which was sometimes a rare thing to see growing on the grounds of district 12. maybe not in the fields where others go but still definitely rare. peeta decided to grab some of the flowers and take them with him to hand over to eris.

"what are you doing with those flowers?" rye asked him

peeta shares that he was going to gift them to the most recent victor.

rye and ben scoffed at one another before telling peeta that he was ridiculous about picking flowers and thinking he was going to give them to eris or even if eris would like him.

"besides no girl would ever go for you" rye says

peeta stays quiet before rye says: "plus she's a freak!"

"no she's not! leave her alone!" peeta fought back

"oooh look peeta's getting all defensive about his girlfriend!" rye taunts