Chapter 19

"Stay here." Marshall demands, basically turning me into a statue with his stare.

"When have I ever stayed where you tell me to?" I roll my eyes and follow him out of the supply room.

We weave through the crowd. Everyone naturally parts for Marshall's passing, leaving me to squeeze in between sweaty cheering bodies. I body-check a woman who won't let me pass and she goes flying into her boyfriend. She regains her balance and her eyes flare at me.

"Watch it bitch." She hisses.

I release Marshall's hand and turn back around to this girl. I see now that she's a stereotypical mean girl, the kind you fear in high school and their best weapon is their nasally voices and highlights.

"Watch your mouth." I snap at her, feeling a fire start in my core. It feels good to let some of this steam off.

"Fuck off." She snarls, her nose ring shifting with the scrunch of her nose.

I can't help but laugh at her. Before I can say anything more I feel and arm wrap around my stomach and lift me away from her. Marshall positions himself in between me and that girl, looking down at me with his face a bright shade of red.

"What the hell are you doing?" He asks angrily.

"She called me a bitch." I tell him, crossing my arms.

Marshall lets out a frustrated breath. "Rachel, you can't go around picking fights with strangers."

"You do." I challenge, smirking to myself.

"Yeah well I'm not pregnant." He says matter-of-factly, gripping my wrist and keeps a tight hold while he walks us through the crowd again.

Marshall reaches the end of the crowd and yanks me out after him, heading towards the benches on the side. I can see Taylor Decko from here. The man is enormous, easily 6'7''. We approach and part of me feels like I'm unworthy to be in his presence. He makes anyone seem as small as an ant. Marshall pulls me close to his body and makes sure I'm secure there.

"Taylor." He calls.

Taylor turns around, and once he sees us, he comes power walking over. Well, I guess it's not really power walking, he takes three steps and he's there.

"Marshall." He says in a voice that seems like it should narrate every story. He offers Marshall a warm smile, you'd never think they've fought before. "I have to talk to you."

"I'm listening." I know Marshall is refraining from the sarcastic tone tugging at his vocal chords. He's used it many times with me.

"No not here." Taylor laughs. "Maybe we could talk outside?"

There's a brief moment of silence between us. I don't think this is a good idea. Why can't they talk in here? And if the news is so urgent, why hasn't he said anything?

"Spit it out." Marshall demands, not taking any of this bullshit and I make a mental note to reward him.

"It's about your father." He says. "He sponsored Tony Howard and myself for years."

"I knew that." Marshall says harshly and I squeeze his bicep once, letting him know to lay off a little.

"Well he's on trial." He tells us. "Facing the death penalty."

"For what?" Marshall asks impatiently, now interested. "When is it?"

"I don't know exactly." He shakes his head. "But that's not what I came for."

"I'm getting sick of asking what it is exactly you came to tell me." Marshall snaps and I bite my lip to keep from smiling. He's strangely sexy when he's being a sarcastic ass.