Chapter 9

I'm on my own today. I figured it was time to let Marshall go back to training alone. He needs to be around his friends again, as one of the guys, not my boyfriend. He was hesitant as usual, but I think he'll thank me later. As far as my plans go, I have none. Marshall suggested I stay in the apartment all day but that's just because he doesn't like the idea of me alone in the city. I smile at the thought. It reminds me that he cares.

I wander aimlessly down the street and pass Lids. My first job. So many memories there. Good and bad. I didn't appreciate it then but if Marshall hadn't beaten the shit out of Nick that day I wouldn't be with him. I guess I kind of owe Nick a thank you in a way.

I continue on, gazing at the small shops. Soon, XV comes into view. I remember being in there with Ren the day we went to Central Correctional. I miss Ren. I haven't seen her since Rule screamed at her. It's been lonely without her, after all she is my best friend. I walk into XV and look around. I can see why she likes it so much, everything is so her. I shuffle through racks of clothing as hard rock music plays throughout the store. The front door to the shop opens and I catch a whip of curly brown hair in my peripheral vision.

I turn around, it's her. She doesn't notice me. I duck behind the rack I'm in front of and glance at her through the clothes. My body becomes numb with nostalgia. Ren shuffles through the same rack for a good five minutes. Her hands push the clothes around but her eyes stay fixed on the door. She's waiting for someone. Ten more minutes go by and my calves burn in my slight squatted position. I extend my legs and massage my thigh, still bending to hide myself.

Ren moves the clothes on the rack around for the thousandth time. I'm about to give up and relieve my the cramp in my back when someone walks in the shop. I can barely see through the clothes but I'd know that voice anywhere. I peek my head up a little and see two large tattooed arms holding Ren close to him. My eyes travel up even further and I see them kissing. Rule looks so happy. Ren matches his feelings, unable to stop smiling.

The two of them together look like two teenagers that snuck out of the house to meet. In a way it's exactly that. They're hiding. Rule's said nothing about her since he bitched at her months ago. And how dare he do this when he knows I haven't talked to her? My anger towards him lasts only a second before its replaced with fear. Where the hell is Tony? How could Rule do this? I mean come on there are other ways to do this.

The two of them kiss for a while longer and then exit the shop. Before I can stop myself I follow them out. I let myself fall a few paces behind them, staying hidden behind another couple that's walking. Where are they going? Their silhouettes get thinner and thinner until I realize I've lost them. Dammit. I stop walking on the sidewalk and immediately feel my phone vibrating.

"Hello?"

"Where are you?" Marshall asks through the phone.

"I'm good how are you?" I say sarcastically, rolling my eyes even though he can't see me.

"I'm sorry." He answers, taking a deep breath. "I just thought you'd be home."

"Are you home?" I ask, already knowing the answer.

"Yes but I think I asked where you are." He reminds me.

"I'm by XV in downtown." I say. "I saw Ren."

"You talked to her?" His voice shifts from annoyed to interested.

"No I just saw her." I turn around and start the walk to the apartment. "Making out with Rule."

"What?!" Marshall lets out a booming laugh on his end of the phone.

"It's not funny they're sneaking around." I protest, continuing towards home. One more block. "And is she or isn't she with Tony anymore?"