Chapter 7 (part 2)

I'm shell shocked by this information. A five hundred pound weight is lifted off of my shoulders. But a one thousand pound weight is placed back on. Marshall's brother is dead. I look up at him, remembering what he's just told me. He looks sad, not as sad as he should be. Just, acutely sad.

"Are you okay?" I ask, resting my hands on his forearms.

"I don't know." He answers with genuine confusion on his face.

"What do you want to do?" I ask again, keeping my eyes on him trying to figure out what he's feeling.

"I don't know." He repeats, shaking and dropping his head.

"Rachel we need to talk." Rule says from behind me.

I turn around and see him waiting for me. He nods his head towards the office indicating that this will be a private conversation. I tell him I'll be right there and he walks to the back. I turn back to Marshall who's now holding my hands tightly.

"I'll be right back." I tell him.

"Don't leave." He says, lacing our fingers together.

"I'll be quick." I kiss him reassuringly and hurry to Rule's office.

When I walk in, he's standing with his back to the door and hands on his hips. I close the door behind me and he turns, sitting on the edge of the desk. He looks worried, his hands gripping the edge of the wood harshly.

"He doesn't want to go." Rule says in a low voice. "He wants to stay here and bury Josh. We'll miss the window for Italy and we'll be here when Emmett goes on probation."

"What happened?" I ask him, sitting down in a chair by the door.

"Car accident." Rule exhales. "Hit and run."

There's a silence now, one that gives me goosebumps. I know who is responsible. Rule knows it too. When will he stop? And to his own son? The thought sickens me. Jon sickens me.

"Does Marshall know that?" I pray to God not.

"No."

"Did they find him?" I ask, already knowing the answer.

"No." Rule shakes his head and looks down at the floor.

Another pause.

"I didn't say anything about Emmett." He confirms. "But Rachel you can't let this go on. He's gonna come back and rub it in Marshall's face."

"I can't tell him now." I snap back at him. "He's been through enough."

"The longer you keep it a secret the more it's gonna hurt him when he finds out." Rule's voice easily meets my hostility.

"It's not your choice." I stifle my fiesty tone, not wanting to start anything unnecessary.

"I'm looking out for my friend." He regains his calmness. "I won't tell him about the kiss I'll leave that up to you, but if you don't tell him about the visit I will."

I feel an anger building inside me. A frustrated anger. Why does Rule want me to hurt Marshall even more? It's gonna break his heart. He's gonna hate me. I shudder away at the thought. I hate when Marshall's upset with me.
I look at Rule one more time and then exit his office. I see Marshall standing in the exact same place where I left him. He's standing there staring at me, waiting for me to go to him. I have to tell him. I have to. Even if it hurts him he needs to know, Rule is right I can't wait any longer.
I take a long deep breath in and then walk over to Marshall. Once I'm within reach he pulls me to his chest, enveloping me in a warm hug. Guilt washes over me and I feel tears jerk at my eyes.