chapter twenty two

School was now over and I decided to head straight to the dance studio, instead of the house. Connie tagged along since she knew both of her parents were going to be busy with church business, and that left her sorting papers with them as well. Luke was suppose to come but Ashton called as soon at the dismissal bell rung, and he caught a ride with them. I didn't mind his absence that much, since I pretty much lied to him about what happened in first period.

"So, you think Riley knows something?" Connie asked, dropping her bag in the corner of the room and sitting down on the floor.

"I know it sounds pretty stupid. But the way she kept looking at me seems like she did." I said shakily, grabbing my snapback out of my backpack. 

Connie rolled her eyes. "That girl has a habit of glaring at every human being she sees. Besides, what can she have on you?"

"Nothing. I just don't want things to be blown out of proportion. It took me years to finally get the guy that I've always wanted to have as my boyfriend, I just don't want to mess things up for us." I tried to keep a brave face but the frown already came, Connie standing up and rushing over to me.

"Reese, don't be like this. Don't let other people threaten your relationship. Especially not Riley, her and Luke are completely over." I still felt unsure about things but quickly nodded. Before I can give her a hug, parents starting to come in with their kids. 

-

"Are you bullshitting me? Or is this true?" Luke's eyes were still wide from the voice coming from Calum's phone. Even Michael was frozen. He may not be that interested in pop music generally, but he realized that voice from all the times Alex played the album in her room. Harry Styles.

Calum nodded. "Their management contacted Ashton yesterday while he was at work. The dude literally almost burnt the food from being so shocked." Ashton gave him a stare and crossed his arms, before turning back to Luke.

"Can you blame me? One of the members from the group watched one of our covers from your Youtube page. They have an upcoming tour for their new album and they want to know if we are interested in being an opening act."

He couldn't help but smile so big at the news. He's been singing in parks and attending various radio shows to get their music out there, but it was never enough. Now they were given such an incredible opportunity and he couldn't pass it up.

"When are we going to meet up with them?" He asked the three of his bandmates.

"It's next week. The management and Louis Tomlinson want to have a talk with us a day before the prep rally on Friday, and we leave on Sunday." Calum explained. They all hollered like lunatics and went to hug each-other, but Luke was the only one not moving. They're leaving next week? 

"WE ARE THE CHAMPIONSSS!!!" Ashton screamed out, Michael and Calum chanting it back.

"Reese." Luke breathed out.

His words were pretty quiet over the yelling, but it seems like Calum heard him. Luke just stared back at him emotionless until Calum brought the both of them in the kitchen, trying to make their talk seem as normal as possible.

"You're doing this, Hemmings." Calum said.

Luke sighed. "It's all I've ever wanted for all of us. There's never been a day where I regret being apart of this band. But I can't leave Reese."

"Luke, this is our only shot. Out of the four of us, we all know who has devoted his life for this. There are always going to be girls out there you can meet."

The younger boy shook his head and stepped up to his friend. "My life is complete shit. There's never been anything I had that was actually valuable to me. I've made a lot of sacrifices. But I'm allowing myself to be selfish this time because she's the one thing I don't want to give up."