10

The week flew by.

A week full of complete dating bliss.

Christian wined and dined me every night of the week and I'd be remiss to say that I wasn't falling harder and harder for him every day. 

He picks me up from my apartment, takes us to Roast Room before heading into work. I can't remember ever being treated this well and it starts to make me wonder what I ever saw in Duke. Even at our best he never treated me like this.

It's not even so much about the flowers and the dinners, but Christian takes such good care of me. He's attentive and he takes interest. My parents don't even pay that much attention to me unless I'm actively doing something they disagree with like dropping out of college and skipping around jobs.

It's just been nice.

On Wednesday Karman went with me to change my phone number and my life has never been more calm. No constant texts, no incessant ringing. Only seven people have my new number. My parents, Karman and Sam, Vivian and Travis, and Christian. I like it this way. It's peaceful.

It's Saturday morning and I stretch in bed, getting in a little body shake as I sigh in content. The heavy arm around my waist tightens and it makes me smile.

"Good morning" I kiss Christian's cheek.

He grunts, tucking me back into his body. Christian is not a morning person, I've learned. 

"It's not even that early" I glance at the alarm clock on my nightstand. "It's only nine"

I move to sit up but he keeps a hold of me, pinning me to his body. "You don't have to go every morning"

I gasp dramatically. "How dare you say that to me"

Before Christian can say anything in response, another voice startles the both of us.

"Please be decent, please be decent!" Karman all but yells before bursting through the door.

I sit up and Christian lets me, concern on his own face. "Karm, what-"

My phone rings and I look over, surprised to see Mother as the Caller ID. She never calls. Not me anyway.

"Oh damn I'm too late" Karman sighs.

Tentatively I pick up the phone and answer it. "Hello?"

"There are pictures of you online" she snaps at me.

I clutch the sheets around me. "What?"

"Pictures of you and some man. What is this about Nora?"

"I-" I look to Karman not knowing what to say or what my mother is talking about.

"Tabloids" Karman whispers. "Someone leaked pictures"

This is a conversation Christian and I had on our first date. It's too early for anyone to know and I didn't want to be in the limelight so soon, especially because I work for him. More importantly my parents. I didn't want the backlash from them.

Christian immediately reaches for his phone and dials a number before walking into my bathroom with nothing on but a pair of blue and black plaid sleep pants. He leaves the door only cracked open but I can still hear the anger in his voice.

I don't think I was the only one who wanted to keep us out of the light for the time being.

"Nora" my mother snaps at me again.

"Um" I blink. "Yes?"

"Why are you out with this man? This man, isn't he your boss?" she accuses.

"He is" I shift nervously. Karman quietly backs out of the room with an apologetic look on her face.