Chapter 2: Watching New Meat

3rd person pov:

As the streets of the quiet little town bustle with people during the day. A new face walks into town with a smile on his lips and a tune humming in his throat.

The blonde male walks along the busy streets with book in hand, hair coamed back, and bear kept just at his chin. Golden eyes twinkle with joy at the sight of a steeple off in the distance.

Kei:"There you are. Home sweet home."

As he approaches. The man frowns. As the church hasn't been repaired since the fire.

With a heavy sigh and a smile of determination. The man rolls up his sleeves.

Kei:"No time like the present to get started."

As keigo starts picking up the scorched wood planks and stone bricks. Eyes watch him from the shadows. Then steps echo in the courtyard.

Shig:"Can I help you!?"

A grumpy tone rings out from the raspy voice.

Keigo looks up to see a man with long white hair that's pulled up and tied back stands at the top of the stairs leading into the shell of the building.

With a bow and left hand placed on his chest. Keigo greets the man.

Kei:"Please forgive the intrusion. My name is father keigo, and I've been sent by my cathedral to take over this district. So first, repairs must be made to ensure a safe place for the people to come in times of need. Though I wasn't informed that another was waiting for me."

Shig:"You're cleaning in vain. The people think God has left this house behind, and a devil takes it for itself. I've tried for years to clean this place. Only to shed blood from accidents."

The older man grips his arm and looks down. So keigo walks up and offers his hand.

Kei:"With a little help and a prayer. I'm sure we'll bring the light back."

Shig:"The name's father tomura. It's a pleasure to meet you, young man."

Tomura takes Keigo's hand to shake. Then he shows Keigo inside.

The blonde looks around and sees some repairs have been made, and rooms have been cleaned.

As he walks through. Memories flood Keigo's mind.

The sight of the pews brings back memories of younger years. Playing hide and seek with the other children. Keigo peeking over top and getting a thump to his head by father Jin with a glare. Only to see his smile peek and eyes soften.

Jin:"Kids will be kids. Just remember to play safe."

Kei:"Yes sir. We will. Heheheh!"

Memory fades as the confessional catches his eye. As keigo runs his hand along the wooden door. A memory floods over him.

Kei:"Are you sure we won't get caught?"

Tou:"So long as we shut both doors and make it look like we're cleaning. No one will open the doors."

As keigo and touya make out, and shirts lift. There's a knock on the door.

Toga:"Father Jin is coming."

Both start to clean as Jin walks in. Touya looks over to see Keigo blushing.

Tou:"Calm down or he'll see."

Jin walks up to them and sees that touya is the only one to look up at him.

Jin:"Is something wrong my child?"

Keigo shakes his head no. That's when the priest sees the boy's red Cheeks.

Jin:"Ah, young love. It feels good and bad at the same time. Yet we know not what to believe. I say if no one is hurt. Let love fly free as the lord above. For we have all been there before. So keep it out of the public space, you two."

Jin then tugs on Keigo's shirt. Showing that his shirt is inside out.

Keigo chuckles nervously as touya facepalms.

Tou:"Idiot."

Both were ordered to polish candle stands for a week after that.

Then they got to the open wine cellar door. As memories of first kiss, making gifts for others, and preparing food for the homeless were done with touya in that very room. Bringing tears to his eyes.

Shig:"Are you alright?"

Kei:"Yeah, just memories coming back to me. You see, I use to live here before the fire. Seeing this place reminds me of good days."

As they keep walking. Keigo looks behind them. As he feels as if eyes are watching them. When he sees nothing there. Keigo follows until he's lead to his bedroom.

Shig:"This is where you'll be staying. Please make yourself at home and rest after your long journey. We can start repairs tomorrow."

Kei:"Thank you very much. Good dreams to you aswell."

As keigo unpacks his suitcase. He reads letters of his mission.

<Investigate missing person reports in the town where you grew up. Roomors are floating that the church has had "moans from god." During prayer. We suspect a human trafficking organization behind it all. We've sent many of our best, but none have returned. Since you're young. We hope that you won't be suspected as a threat.>

Keigo burns the letter with the candle beside his bed. Then, he continues to unpack. He places the wooden image on his nightstand that was meant to go to touya.

Kei:"I hope you're watching from a better place."

Keigo puts two fingers to his lips and places them on the image before laying down to rest.

That night shadows move about the halls of the church. As rattles of chains echo out.

Shig:"It's time to get ready. When curious eyes wonder where they shouldn't. You'll have a new meal. Now let's go."

Tomura is dragging someone who's shackled from in the cellar to the storage shed. They're muzzled by a half metal mask strapped onto their head. Blue eyes glow in the moon light as they look up at the stars and reach for the sky. Only to be dragged into the dark.