Chapter 9: The Couch

Word Count: 1036

Warnings:

- None

Kyle put one arm over Stans shoulders and one arm over mine. We made sure he had his hat with him before we left so he wasn't pissy at us about it tomorrow. He's not hard to carry since he was partly walking on his own, though he definitely needs our help since he's drunk and half asleep. I had my hand wrapped around his lower back, he was very warm, like uncomfortably warm. The bend in his elbow sat right on my shoulder furthest from him. He was leaning on me more than he was on Stan. His forearm sat across my collar bone and his hand gripped my other shoulder. By the time we made it to the end of Tolkien's driveway, mom was already there waiting for us.

We shuffled him into the backseat of the car, Stan sitting with him. I sat in the front next to Mom and told her about our night. She looked tired and I was very surprised she didn't fall asleep while driving. She only answered in nods or grunts so I tried to minimise the amount of talking I was doing.

-

We arrived home and mom went inside as soon as she parked the car. She must've been really tired. Stan and I hauled Kyle inside, who was now asleep, and laid him down on the couch. I got him a glass of water and some pills that'll help with his hangover when he wakes up. Stan was really drink too so I sent him to bed.

I went back over to Kyle, took his hat from his hands and put it on the coffee table. I took his shoes off so his feet didn't hurt in the morning. He was almost too tall to lay out of the couch, but he seemed to be comfortable. I grabbed him a pillow and a blanket from the cupboard in the hallway. I draped the blanket over him and gently lifted his head, using my left hand to grab his head from behind, since he was facing away from me, and tried not to disturb his face in anyway that might wake him.

I slid the pillow under his head and placed his head back down as softly as I could. Unluckily, I was wearing some random bracelet on my left wrist and it got stuck in his thick curly red hair. "Oh my god, it's like 7th grade all over again..." I mumbled in a whisper to myself.

I panicked when he started to roll over. I didn't want to rip his hair out. I'd hate to ruin his perfectly healthy head of hair. I was quite jealous of how neat it was considering it was really curly. I moved my arm with him as he faced me. "I'm gonna have to wake him up, aren't I?" I whispered to myself and sighed.

I really didn't want to but I can't sit here all night, and I can't rip his hair out, and I cant take the bracelet off without ripping his hair out either. I let my left hand relax into his mess of hair and I began to run my fingers through it, massaging his scalp slightly. I few seconds of this went by, hoping this would wake him up, but he just began to smile in his sleep. I couldn't help but smile back at him, I chuckled slightly and rested my right arm on the small part of the couch that Kyle wasn't laying on. I rested my head down on my arm and watched his sleeping face.

His eyebrows were furrowed as they usually were, they were calm for once. His cheeks weren't very full, but they squished up a lot and made his cheeks much more prominent. His face was very soft looking for once, generally he was very angry or annoyed and was frowning or just making generally upset faces. He was still smiling slightly, though it was faint, it was noticeable.

I kept playing with his hair, but I stopped hoping he'd wake up, I started hoping i would fall asleep. I knew I couldn't stay there, it's weird to watch your brother's best friend sleep. but, I kind of like it. It's not like I'm planning to do anything with him, he just looks so...I don't know, but it makes me feel something fuzzy and jittery.

I remembered that I need to wake Kyle up, but it made me a little disappointed. "Kyle?" I whispered. Since my head was on my arm which was rested on the side of the couch, our noses were almost touching, but that might just be because he has a big nose. He grunted a little but he didn't move. I felt really bad waking him up. I put my right hand on the top of his head and ran my fingers on the side and top of his face. He shuffled his head a little but since my other hand was in his hair, it kept him a little more still. "Hey, Kyle?" His eyes squinted a little then they opened slowly.

"Hi." He whispered in a raspy voice.

"Hey, sorry to wake you." I told him with an apologetic tone. I realised our noses were still almost touching and both my hands were still in his hair and on his face, though he wasn't bothered.

"What are you doing?" He asked with a small smile. He was obviously still a little drunk. He doesn't generally smile while talking for no reason, unless there was reason.

"Oh I'm just-" He put a hand on my face just as mine was on his. "I was putting your pillow under your head and my bracelet got stuck in your hair, so..." He nodded and smirked.

"You'll just have to stay here then." He suggested. "I think we'd both fit on the couch."

"Kyle, you're my brothers best friend and you're also drunk." I protested. "I just need to get the bracelet out of your hair." He moved his face a little closer. His nose now went past mine and our lips were almost touching.

-To be continued-