Oudenhuysen

"Bertoldo was right. Two hours after the advertisement went up in the market, there was a knock on the front door of his villa. Oudenhuysen was already waiting for the adventurers at his desk. The door to the office opens, and he sees Eugene directing the adventurers towards him. It's an interesting group of characters gathered. A giant who embodies the sheer strength of the group. The Viking who acts first and thinks later. A jester who looks more agile than Bertoldo Vasiri. A Tuareg who is already surveying his villa for all the riches on display. Lastly, a Templar of science to heal the group if they get into too much trouble.

"So, you're looking for specialists and offering us ducats?" says the Viking before Oudenhuysen can say anything. He's momentarily taken aback by the Viking's directness but then begins to speak. 

"As you might already know, my name is François Oudenhuysen. I'm involved in numerous business transactions on various levels. I would be deeply regretful if my business contacts or agents were to become public. Therefore, I must insist that you handle this matter with the utmost secrecy. It's better not to stir up sleeping dogs, isn't it?"

"That may all be well, but what is the assignment, Mr. Oudenhuysen?" says the giant. He looks bored and doesn't seem to pay much attention to what Oudenhuysen is saying.

How can adventurers be so direct? Do they have no sense of tact?"A specific gemstone has surfaced in Uzés. I won't bore you with the details, except to say that this gemstone belongs to me. Normally, I was supposed to receive it from the Schatzenheimer gang. So far, this group has failed to deliver the purchase and has disregarded three warnings through the usual channels.

 You must retrieve this gemstone and deliver it here by tomorrow morning. Like many great gemstones, there's a legend associated with this stone. It's said that this gemstone spreads a contagious disease to those who touch it. Personally, I don't believe in such tales, but just in case there's a grain of truth in the legend..."

Oudenhuysen opens his desk and takes out a small box. Since the death of Kurt Holger, Oudenhuysen suspects that the Jordaan gemstone from four years ago had been cursed. If this were true, no one could touch the gemstone. To prevent the adventurers from dying because of the gemstone, he had Knijster enchant a wooden box. 

"I acquired this box through the Orolalum market. Use this box to transport the gemstone. This box is specially enchanted to suppress any magical effects for six hours after opening. That should give you enough time to deliver the gemstone here. You will be escorted to the entrance of the area known as the catacombs by a criminal element whom I've set free today. According to my information, my gemstone is somewhere there. It's now up to you to fulfill your task."

"That may be so, but you haven't told us about the high financial compensation. You mentioned it in the advertisement." Was that really the first thing on the Tuareg's mind? It seemed not only the Tuareg, but Oudenhuysen also noticed the first signs of interest on the faces of the Viking and the giant. 

"I will give each of you 100 ducats when I have the gemstone in my hands. For a day's work, that seems more than sufficient."

"A hundred ducats? Do you consider that a high financial compensation? I expected more from the one and only François Oudenhuysen." The Tuareg clearly wants more money, and no one in the group disagrees. A negotiation ensues between the Tuareg and Oudenhuysen, and they eventually settle on 120 ducats per person.

"Now that the price is agreed upon, I will disclose a few more details. As I've stated, confidentiality is crucial. You are not to hire anyone else to assist you on this mission. You will be brought to the catacombs by a criminal contact and then rely on your own skills. The entrance leads to the area where the Schatzenheimers reside. These are mainly people involved in raids, robberies, and fencing stolen goods. They are also counterfeiters. According to my information, their leader, Kurt Holger, possesses the gemstone.

From the Schatzenheimer section, the catacombs, used by criminals, extend to the sector where the Valentina gang is stationed. This gang consists mainly of immigrants and is the most lethal gang in Uzés. The Valentina gang is involved in every imaginable form of crime. In the most eastern parts of the catacombs, you'll find the Huydermans gang. 

These individuals have access to the Elde River, providing them with an excellent smuggling route. Apart from being smugglers, these people are also murderers who won't hesitate to slit the throat of anyone who deceives them. Normally, you only need to focus on the location of the Schatzenheimers. I'm providing the additional information so you have a complete picture. Any questions?"

Oudenhuysen looks over the adventurers once more. He sees a confident look in each person. If this works out, he will become an advisor to Randar. He'll have a place in Clarus. Then Pivanu can expand and practically dominate everything in Midbad. The future looks promising! 

"When do we leave for the catacombs?" asks the jester.

"If it's convenient for you, you can leave now. Your belongings from the Zeerover are in my sitting room next door. After that, Eugene will escort you outside, where my criminal contact will be waiting for you." 

The adventurers look somewhat surprised that their belongings are present in his villa, but then they proceed to the sitting room without asking any questions.