Oudenhuysen

Did he hear that correctly? Did the King of Borgon, genuinely asked him to steal the gemstone that had symbolized the realm of Batavia for centuries? If Randar was proposing such a thing, he must be desperate. Why would he even want that gemstone? He is the king of Borgon; he has no use for the old law that says he would become the duke of the realm of Batavia. He already rules over Batavia by being the king of Borgon. 

Every time he asks Randar why he wants the gemstone, he gives evasive answers. This is something he will have to figure out for himself, but one way or another, he will find out. Randar didn't contact him first. He first contacted Kurt Holger. If he's contacting someone like that, it means that all of this must happen without anyone finding out. 

Oudenhuysen would have to find out where Kurt Holger is and where the gemstone is. What happened in Morala that made Kurt not come to collect the reward of 750 ducats? Could Kurt want to sell the jewel himself? Oudenhuysen could investigate this. In any case, there is more to this than meets the eye, and it intrigues him. The question is, what would Randar offer him in return?

"Randar, I want to talk to some business partners to see if they've heard anything. Perhaps they know if the gemstone is currently for sale. I could also take it a step further and have someone infiltrate the Schatzenheimer gang's hideout. That way, we'd know if the gang is still there or at least if Kurt Holger is. However, you must understand, Randar, that this is not without risk for me. Especially since you refuse to tell me why you want the gemstone. That makes this an uncertain investment. I'm not interested in ducats, no matter how many you offer me. I'm a businessman. I'm not content with simple payment like Kurt Holger."

"So what if I offer you something else, Mr. Oudenhuysen?" Randar says this with a somber expression. "I would like to offer you a place in my council. You are a very clever man who has come into contact with every king in Midbad. You would be a great advisor to help me during negotiations with other realms. You would get a room in this castle, but you won't have to be here all the time. You would still be free to come and go as you please. The only times you would have to be present is when I negotiate with a realm outside of Borgon. For internal political negotiations, I have my other councilors."

He couldn't believe his ears. Becoming a councilor for Randar? Getting a permanent room in the Brenner castle? Never before had a businessman been allowed into the political circles of a king. This reward would be a significant boon for any businessman, especially because he would retain his freedom. But for Oudenhuysen, it could turn out even better.

Oudenhuysen shakes hands with Randar and promises to find the jewel. Randar's face relaxes, and Oudenhuysen notices a weight lifted off Randar's shoulders. As Oudenhuysen leaves Randar's chamber, he still can't believe what just happened. If he finds that jewel and gives it to Randar, he will have a permanent place in Clarus. 

This would mean that Pivanu would have more and more influence over Borgon. More and more spies from the organization would become part of the court. They could completely change the political landscape of Borgon. As a councilor, Oudenhuysen would have even more impact on the other realms. He couldn't let this opportunity slip away. When he walks out of the castle gate, he sees Eugene standing next to his carriage. 

"Eugene, it's time to leave Clarus. Head north to the realm of Batavia, go to the city of Uzés, to my villa there." 

As Oudenhuysen sits in his carriage, he begins to think. Why didn't Kurt Holger return to Clarus? What happened after the theft of the jewel? He needs more information about the events of that night. Oudenhuysen rolls up his sleeve and touches a tattoo on his left forearm. When he touches it, his kobold Knijster appears next to him in the carriage.

"Knijster, you need to go to the city of Morala, the capital of the realm of Batavia. Get into the castle and bring Erik Salveux to me immediately. I need to talk to him, to find out what has been happening in Morala in recent weeks. After our conversation is done, you must ensure that he's back in the castle right away. It shouldn't be noticeable that he's been away. We don't want people asking questions." 

"Okay, master, Erik Salveux will be in your carriage as soon as possible," Knijster says with a smile, and then he disappears. Five minutes later, Knijster is back in the carriage, but this time, Erik Salveux is sitting across from him.

"So, Erik, do you know who I am and my kobold?" 

"Yes, sir, your name is François Oudenhuysen, one of the three leaders of Pivanu. The kobold's name is Knijster, your personal servant."

"Very well, Erik, do you also know that your loyalty is to Pivanu and not to the realm of Batavia?"

"Certainly, sir, my loyalty has not changed. I will do as you ask."

"I just need some information about Jordaan Frasiër; do you know him well?"

"Certainly, sir, I have lived in Morala for 15 years. I was a city guard when Maximiliaan Gurton was the duke. When Jordaan became duke he made me one of his personal knights."

"You've done your job well, Erik Salveux. Thanks to you, Pivanu has insight into what is happening in Morala and its surroundings. Today is the day we want to find out exactly how much you know. So, Erik, Jordaan's jewel was stolen last week; what do you know about this?"

"The jewel was stolen in the middle of the night. We only noticed it the next morning. The vault was broken into, and the guards who were watching the vault were killed. The culprits were well-prepared because the guards were killed instantly, and they weren't able to defend themselves. Jordaan was furious and ordered me and a few other knights to find the culprits.

On the very same day, when we were patrolling in the realm of Batavia, we were stopped by three citizens. They told us they had found a body hidden in a ditch. They took us to the body, and I didn't recognize the man, but I recognized how he had died. It was the same way that a fourth of Morala had died four years ago."

"Do you know more about that event, Erik, and can you describe how the body looked?"  Oudenhuysen quickly realizes that the man Erik describes is Kurt Holger. Erik explains that he doesn't know what the cause of the deaths was four years ago. Jordaan immediately ordered them to bring the body to the castle to burn it. No one should know that there was a body with the same symptoms as four years ago. 

"Do you have any idea where the gemstone is?" 

"No, Mr. Oudenhuysen, apart from the peculiar body, we have no leads."

"Very well, Erik, that's all. Before Knijster takes you back, I entrust you with the responsibility of ensuring that Jordaan does not regain possession of the jewel. It is in the best interest of Pivanu that the gemstone remains missing." After this, Knijster takes Erik by the arm, and they both disappear. 

So, Kurt Holger is dead, and his cause of death is the same as that of a fourth of the population of Morala four years ago. Could the gemstone be the cause? Could it have been cursed by someone? Kurt must have had the jewel on him when he died. Did someone from his gang take the gemstone? Maybe they went back to Uzés, or perhaps they have already sold the jewel? 

If the jewel is indeed cursed, there will be more deaths. All those deaths must leave a trail. He needs to speak to his contact involved in the underworld of Uzés. He urgently needs to talk to Bertoldo Vasiri, a member of the Valentina gang.