Five.

That day, Eugene wore a special sort of smirk at the corners of his lips. He wore it at the breakfast table, when the children in the orphanage were forced to slurp white, goopy oatmeal that dribbled like fat saliva between the gaps of their teeth. And again during playtime in the afternoon, when the rest of the children were kicking ball in the playground, Eugene sat in the shadows, hitting his kneecaps together and smiling with that special smirk of his. It was no surprise when the ball started to get curious, and decided to bounce against one of the children's foot and straight into Eugene's face.

One of his front teeth popped out that afternoon. It was the skinnier, wobblier one of the two. He knew because he'd fiddle with it using the tip of his tongue a few times while staring at the sky, wondering about how many jumps he could do before his fingers reached the clouds.

When the nuns had found him, he'd cried so much that his snot was starting to mix in the blood and saliva pouring out of his mouth. He howled and howled 'till the nuns smacked his head and bellowed, 'SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP' so loud he bit his tongue out of fright. Of course that only made him cry more.

Eugene knew that he shouldn't be crying so much at his age. Especially because he's a boy. But he couldn't help it, his tooth cracked off and it hurt, so he cried. His tongue bled, and it hurt, so he cried. No matter how much taunting, or vein-popping outbursts he'd cause from his wailing he couldn't stop his tears. The floodgates had opened, and there was nowhere to go but out.

He wouldn't even dare try tell this to the adults though. Adults don't listen to children. It was common knowledge. From the long nosed adults with the tight coats and silvery hand watches, to the nuns in the orphanage equipped with fat bible books and rosaries constantly dangling around their fingers. If they could, they'd replace kids with statues.Statues were quieter, prettier and much more obedient.

Eugene held his satchel between his arms. That 'thing' was hidden inside. He felt the warmth radiating from it, almost like it was breathing.

At least I have this, he thought,bringing the infirmary blanket over his head. He tucked his feet underneath him, and hugged the satchel closer to his chest.