Four.

The Grand Hall was drenched. The ice that had collected that night had turned into deformed ice blocks that dripped rivers across the room. The maids were busy at work drying the room. when Elsa passed by, an armful of books between her arms from the study sessions earlier. They had buckets of water lined beside, and even more dry towels arriving as reinforcements.

"Princess Elsa!" They bowed briefly before returning to their work.

The little girl almost felt guilty for piling up the work. Usually, they cleaned up only a small bit of ice, and kept that a secret from her parents. It was a good thing they weren't here. If they had known she snuck out for magic practice, well, Elsa wouldn't want to know what happens next.

"...more today don't you think?"

It seemed the maids had already forgotten she was there. Adults often like to forget little children exist. Even princessess. Elsa thought that it might be because children are a lot smaller, and adults don't like looking at their toes.

"Well as long as she's happy."

"You know whose not happy?" One of the servants asked.

"Who?"

"Lady Gretta that's who! Someone stole her necklace. That silver one with the green emeralds."

"Stole?!" Elsa heard one of the maids scoff, "In this palace? Not likely."

"It's true! And don't be an idiot, this palace barely have the guards after the queen and king reduced staff. Sad to see Bobby go."

"Oh you had a shine for him didn't ya?"

Elsa let the conversation disappear behind her. So her teacher had something stolen from her? She remembered that necklace. It was a gift from her mother. It wasn't particularly valuable to the family, and really, her mother was about to throw it out until Miss Gretta came by. Nevertheless her teacher had always held that particular piece of jewelry close to her heart.

She didn't know anyone who had the capacity to steal from the woman, unless – well... Didn't Eugene have something in his satchel the other night?

What was she thinking there was no way Eugene would ever steal from the palace. Would he? Elsa swallowed, and decided she should ask him about it the next time they see each other.