OSC/ Three

One Step Closer/ Three

                                  Alonzo stepped into the house, with Kylie inside her stroller, as usual. “Mom?”

                                 He looked around; as a figure stepped out of the kitchen…she was an older Black woman, what would be classified as a “red-boned” woman, with a well defined body for that of a forty year old. She screamed, holding her arms out, as Kylie, in retrospect, extended her stubby little extremities. “Gam-ma!”

                                 She hoisted the little girl out of the stroller seat, into her arms and gave her a kiss on her chubby cheeks. “Yeah, Grandma is happy to see you…she hasn’t seen her little Kylie in a long time,” she said, cutting her eyes to Alonzo.

                               “Sorry, mom…been busy workin,” he breathed, putting the stroller to the side. She sat on the sofa, pulling a lollipop from her candy dish on the coffee table. She gave the lollipop to Kylie, after unwrapping it.

                               “M-mom! She hasn’t eaten dinner yet,” complained Alonzo. His mother swatted his words away. “A little sweet isn’t gonna hurt her…ain’t it, Kylie?”

                               The little girl shook her head, his mother laughed…she had sticky candy and saliva all over her mouth already. Alonzo rolled his eyes. “You know if that was me or CeCe, you would’ve whooped our butts already,”

                              “That’s because you were a knucklehead,” she said. “You were always in the candy…I’m surprised you still have all your teeth,”

                               “Because when I got into junior high, I stopped eating candy altogether,” said Alonzo. “Speaking of, how is that sister of mine?”

                               “She’s doin well. She’s up the coast in Oakland for right now,” answered his mother. “She told me to ask you for pictures of Kylie the next time I saw you,”

                               “I’ll get her some,” Alonzo retorted, as his nose caught a scent coming from the kitchen. “You cookin? Is that what I think it is?”

                               “Sour cream chicken,” said his mother.

                               “Chicken!” said Kylie, as his mother giggled, giving her granddaughter a hug. Alonzo smiled. “Well, I hadn’t originally planned on staying,”

                                “Boy, you know you and Kylie are welcome to stay for dinner anytime,” his mother said, with authority. “In fact, if you leave this house without feedin that girl, and I’m gonna put a foot in yo behind,”

                                “Where’s Dad?” asked Alonzo. Kylie looked to him and pointed. “Daddy!”

                                He laughed. “No Kylie…my dad- Paw-Paw,”

                                “Paw-Paw?”- Kylie looked around, trying to find him. He laughed again, leaning over, and kissed her forehead as she continued to eat on the lollipop.

                                “He’s up north, trying to get more investors. You know since the economy took a hit, the vineyard’s sales have slumped,”