Maybe Next Time

"Toilet paper, check. Water, check. Pizza, also check. I only need milk and I'll be good to go," you walked down the aisle.

You eyed different products, why? Nobody knows, you always get the same one in the end.

You waited in the line for your turn, when the man before you turned to you.

Of course you didn't know this at the time, but the man was Mike, and as soon as you returned his gaze he turned back.

You did find it weird, but there was too much in your head to even notice it.

And Mike was struggling, he couldn't do anything, right? That would make him part of the crime.

You payed for your groceries and walked away. Life without a car was much more difficult than you remembered, but how could walking home with 20 bags be easy in even the  shortest distance?

And so the man left in some sort of hurry, you guessed, because you lost sight of him for the tiniest moment and he practically vanished. He did intrigue you, but again why would you care?

Good thing nice people exist, or so you thought. Because as exiting the mall you found a somewhat familiar police car outside the mall, and, unsurprisingly enough, it stopped right in front of you.

Vanessa rolled down the window, smiling - as eyeing you top to bottom -.
"Hey there, did you get a new car since the accident?"

With so many bags in your face, she probably couldn't tell that you were shaking your head. "No."

She scoffed. "Don't tell me you intended to walk home like that."

"And what other option do I have?" You grunted as struggling to carry the bags.

She clicked her tongue. "There are many options; having asked for a friend to pick you up, getting a cab, using the bus, or my personal favorite, letting me drive you home."

You truly weren't expecting that last option. "You're on duty, I can't disturb you like that."

"First of all, there are many different officers patrolling in this precise moment, one more or one less won't affect at all. Then, my job as a police officer is to guarantee the well-being of the citizens, isn't it? Well, if to achive that I have to drive you home, then drive you home I will." She didn't hesitate any longer and got off her cruiser.

"What are you-?" Your question was answered when she grabbed your shopping bags and took them to the trunk.

"I'm taking you home. Now, get in." She made sure no one was coming and opened the door to the passengers seat for you.

You fastened your seatbelt. "If no wasn't an answer then you shouldn't have asked. Thank you so much for this anyway."

"I was trying to be polite, but there's no way I'm letting you walk home like that. You need to get somewhere with your car thing, do you have savings for occasions like these?" She lowered the volume from the radio.

"Yeah, but I'm not buying a car now, I need my parents to come for the holidays so they can help me choose one." You scratched your arm.

She didn't quite understood what you meant. "They must know a lot about cars then. But if you ever need a ride anywhere, you know where to find me."

"I have absolutely zero idea on where to find you, though I guess I could ask the police station. But, yeah, you're right, next time I'll call a friend." You leaned your elbow on the window, resting your chin in your palm.

Maybe she shouldn't have said what she said next, and not only maybe, she shouldn't have been there at all. "No, I mean it, I'll be glad to drive anywhere you need."