Chapter 3- The Engagement Ceremony (1)

A short maid in black and white knocked on the door and said, "Your Highness."

Standing in front of the door beside her was another woman, who appeared to be taller than the maid while being of average height. She had a straight posture as she glanced at her maid. She rapped on the door. But there was only quiet.

Once again, the lady knocked.

"Come in." A manly husky voice came out from the room.

The ash-haired woman entered the room followed by her maid who was holding a tray containing a cup of coffee from which steam was coming, both entering the room.

The maid placed the coffee on the night table beside the bed as she walked towards the curtains. She pulled them up, letting the ray of sunlight inside the room.

"Your Highness, it's your engagement day today. Please, wake up," the ash-haired woman said as she made a sign for the maid to leave the room.

The maid bowed to her before exiting the room quietly.

The man covered in blankets groaned as the sunlight disturbed his sleep.

"Come on, Your Highness." The ash-haired lady pulled the blankets away.

"What in the?!"

The young man jolted from his bed, sitting up straight as he glared at the woman in front of him.

"Gloria?" He asked, puzzled. "What is with you referring to me as 'Your Highness' this morning?"

"Indeed, it is me. I was wondering whether perhaps I should start addressing you with more respect now, Crown Prince Yuden. After all, you will bring a wife soon." She grinned, teasingly.

Just as she was about to sit on the bed, her gaze fell on the complete mattress only to find a girl lying beside the ash-blond-haired young man.

"What's this?" Gloria quickly stepped away from his bed with furrowed eyebrows.

"Uhm... Nothing unusual, sister." Yuden replied with a little chuckle. He quickly shook the girl beside him to wake her up.

The girl groaned a little.

"Let me sleep a bit more," she muttered sleepily. 

"Get up." Yuden coldly said.

The coldness in his voice had shaken up from her dreams. The girl sat up quickly, waking up to reality. She hastily put on her clothes that were lying on the ground, took her shoes and rushed outside of the room.

"Yuden!" Gloria yelled in disbelief.

"What's wrong?"

"What do you mean what's wrong? It's your engagement day! Not with anyone but with Layla Throren, the only Princess of Averlyon. How can you do this just the night before?!"

"She knows how I am. It's not like this marriage is anything emotional, sister. All I need is a woman who can help me get on the throne. It doesn't matter who it is."

"But still. You're a prince. You need to behave yourself. The media is always peeking for ways to taint the royal family and you behaving this way does no good." Gloria sighed as she sat on the couch, grabbing the cup of coffee on the tray.
"Wasn't that for me?"

"Not anymore." She smiled brightly as she pointed towards the washroom. "Go wash up and get ready. We will leave in the evening but you need to get yourself ready. You need to look like a proper crown prince after all."

"I don't wish to. Get me another cup of coffee. I can't do things properly without it. And I'm sure you wouldn't want me to smoke today." He grinned slightly but the smile didn't reach his eyes.