A Blurry Game!

"The game is called Gun, Knife, Noose." The figure proclaimed, a blur of what should be a normal person, but the American simply cannot recall the face, "It's a bit tricky so I don't expect you to understand it."

Despite the fuzziness of silhouette, America distinctly remembered the abrupt drop in his stomach due to his anxiousness.

"Okay."

"I'll explain the rules." 

The hazed form of the person held up two fingers, a gun. 

Then one, a knife. 

Then none, a noose.

In the game, two players would face directly opposite each other with one hand up, two fingers pointed out representing the gun. The first player would then portray a code using only the three actions, the second player has to diligently observe and try to find a formula to the code to decipher it. The second player, after one minute, has to respond using the same cipher. If player one does not understand the response, player two must say what they thought the cipher was, if the cipher was correct and player one just did not understand the response, player one loses a life and now has to hold up one finger representing the knife. If the cipher was incorrect, player two loses a life. 

If player one understood the response, they must continue the conversation through the cipher until mistake. 

The game should last a total of ten minutes with 2 rounds, each round lasting about 5 minutes. By the end of the ten minutes, whichever play has the highest number of fingers up wins.

The loser must take the punishment of the winner, the punishment depends on what fingers the winner has up still. The gun, the knife, and the noose all have different punishments.

"Do you understand, America?"

"I think so..." It was a very convoluted game, the figure didn't mention what the punishments were for losing.

"I shall start then." America held up two fingers, the silhouette did as well.

And they began.

They held up knife, noose, knife, 

a pause, 

knife, noose, 

a pause, noose, knife, 

a pause, noose, knife, noose, gun, noose, knife, noose, noose, a pause, noose, noose, noose, 

a pause, knife, knife, noose, 

a pause, knife, noose, knife, gun, knife, knife, knife, 

a pause, noose, noose, 

a pause, knife, noose, 

a pause, knife, noose, knife, 

a pause, noose, 

a pause, knife, knife, knife, 

a pause, knife, knife, noose, noose, knife, knife.

America briefly wondered if the figure believed he was stupid. 

It was obvious to him. 

There's a direct pattern to which their holding their hand up so it must have something to do with the frequency of which they're holding each action up, that also explains the pauses.

And there's only one language America is aware of that uses three symbols when written and uses frequency and patterns to portray meaning.

What America didn't know was how to respond to the question.