𝐌𝐈𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐘 𝐌𝐈𝐑𝐑𝐎𝐑𝐒 𝐌𝐀𝐃𝐍𝐄𝐒𝐒

It was Venus's eighteenth birthday when she finally received a letter from Coriolanus

Nearly a month had passed since he and Sejanus left the Capitol, a month of her wondering and festering in her insecurities. She knew he was located in Twelve with Lucy Gray. Whether he was assigned that District already or used his charm to cheat the system was beyond her, however, she could feel the latter was how fate played out.

Coriolanus knew this was the end of his life and if he wanted any shot at happiness, possibly Lucy Gray could give that to him. Even though Venus wrote in her letter than she wanted him to be at peace, she never thought that his songbird would be the one to provide it.

That only made her demented soul turn further into the darkness.

Venus studied her gold watch, tracking a few minutes left until her car would arrive at the War Department building. Using each second wisely, she grabbed the paper from the pocket of her dress pants. Opening the letter, she carefully caressed the scribbled ink—wishing that she was holding his hand in that very moment. She waited so long to hear something, anything, back from him and now she finally received it on the day that meant the most to her.

Darling Nessie,

If my accuracy is correct and the postal systems do not fail me, you will receive this letter on the day of your birthday. How badly I wish I could see you, to feel your warm embrace, and to hear your laugh as you enter this new year of your life. I apologize that I've been distant, the adjustment to being a Peacekeeper is not easy for myself nor for Sejanus.

Quite like at the Academy, I find myself having to get him out of trouble and keep him on the straight and narrow. We had an incident, I can't divulge how gruesome it was to you, but his hesitation to act leads me to believe that this lifestyle is not meant for him as it is not meant for me.

He told me what you said, and to that I can not express how much I miss you and our life at the Capitol. District Twelve could never measure up to you and your charms. I've even considered taking the Officer's Exam to give myself a shot at a better quality of life. If accepted then I'll be closer to the Capitol, closer to you. I try to not allow myself to give into delusions but if I play my cards correctly, I could be home in a few years.

I promise I will do better with communication in the future. I'll have more positive things to discuss with you as time goes on and the more things I experience.

Happiest of birthdays to you, my Nessie. I love you the most.

Signed, Your Coryo

Her brown eyes clung to the words. Hearing each one in his voice, imagining the blue hue of his eyes staring back at her as he recounted his experiences. Coryo's letter held a lot of weight on her heart. The lack of mention of Lucy Gray only made her head spin more. She knew they were together, she could feel it in her heart, and she just wanted him to tell her the truth. She tried shaking the thoughts from her mind, finding herself focusing on Sejanus and his struggles.