𝐇𝐎𝐏𝐄 𝐓𝐎 𝐃𝐈𝐄

Venus's heart was pounding through her chest

She felt exhilarated, free to finally say what she felt now that she knew death was around the corner. Her time was severely limited and the last thing she wanted was to continue pretending to like Lucky Flickerman and pander to the Capitol.

She remained at the news station against her will. Cars were waiting to carry the mentors back to the Academy once interviews had been completed. By forfeiting her slot with Coriolanus, she was stuck until his time was complete. She was trying to find ways to distract herself but somehow she was always drawn to him, even in her own madness he was constantly occupying her mind. Watching on the large monitor, she saw the blonde boy speak highly of Lucy Gray and her ballad. What she believed was a form of manipulation was his simple truth, she was right when she told Lucy Gray that he would do anything to protect her.

"Miss Hummingstill?" She heard Dean Highbottom call, turning around she faced the man. Fresh from his interview on the other end of the studio.

"Good morning, Dean Highbottom." She greeted curtly, returning her attention to the screen with her arms crossed.

The man took a closer step to her, his hand on her arm assertively. "You know that friend of yours from Two? The emotional one?" He asked her.

"Sejanus Plinth." Venus answered, slightly nudging his grip off of her.

"You might want to find him a seat near the door when we return to the Academy." The Dean slipped his bottle from his pocket, ducked behind a nearby wall, and dosed himself with morphing drops.

He tried to slip away but Venus blocked his exit, cocking her head to the side as she studied the addict. "I find it fascinating that now, only now, you decide to give the illusion that you actually are concerned." She blinked. "You had nothing to say when my life was threatened, if anything you cosigned the idea, all for you to share the same sentiments that I'm facing punishment for on Capitol News."

The mans eyes grew wide and Venus could not determine if that was shock or anger directed towards her. "In my years I've developed an understanding of how to skew my narrative, Venus. To make it tasteful for the Capitol." He exclaimed in protest.

That suppressed mentality had been around for as long as Venus could remember. Pledge your loyalty to the Capitol. You may have opinions but if they defy the Capitol, immediately get rid of them. To declare yourself as someone from the Capitol was along the same hellish lines as being in a cult. Who was she holding her tongue to please? Why was the Capitol the end all be all to life? 

What really made them better than the rest of Panem?

"And I'll never be given that chance, thanks to you. I'll be in that Arena with them and I'll never make it out." She said lowly, pain settling in her voice. "You spent all this time despising Coriolanus when really you're both the same. Selfish and egotistical excuses for men."