𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 𝐑𝐈𝐁𝐁𝐎𝐍𝐒 𝐈𝐍 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑

Coriolanus wasn't sure what type of greeting he was expecting, but, it surely wasn't one with warmth

Mr. Hummingstill grabbed him by the shoulder. "Come in, son." He demanded, ushering the boy inside and closing the door behind him. "I haven't seen you since you were a kid. You look like the spitting image of your father now." He chuckled lowly.

The Hummingstill's and Snow's had been acquainted with each other for a long time. Growing up together made it easier for their children to run in the same friendship circles. With the passing of Coriolanus's parents, the relationships fizzled out. While Mr. and Mrs. Hummingstill offered to help the Snow's with anything they required in their time of grief, the Grandma'am refused. The pride and old age values of the Capitol not allowing her to accept anything she believes were handouts.

"Thank you, Sir." Coriolanus nodded, not exactly sure what to say.

The man began making his way to his study, his hands tucked into the pockets of his expensive suit. Turning to face the boy, he raised a brow. "I was just about to partake in my evening cigar. Do you smoke?"

"No, Sir." He shook his head.

Mr. Hummingstill let out a hearty laugh, one that oozed privilege and wealth. "Good. It's a nasty habit." He waved off the idea, the gold rings that adorned his fingers glistening in the light. One of those rings could pay for Coriolanus's apartment taxes indefinitely with even money left over for repairs. "My wife hates the smell and so does Venus, doesn't stop me though. This is my home and I am able to do as I please."

The man made his way over to the mini bar positioned near his kitchen. The Avoxes stocked it fresh with posca and whiskey earlier in the day. Grabbing a crystal glass, he poured himself some of the brown liquid and listened on.

"I completely agree, Sir." Coriolanus took a tentative step closer. "Speaking of your daughter, Mr. Hummingstill, I--"

The man cocked his head to the side, sending a chill down Coryo's body. "Are you finally asking to court her, Coriolanus?" He interrupted, interest peaked at the idea. He took a celebratory sip from his glass and grinned. "My God, your father and I held many of conversations about this before he passed. He'd be proud."

"I, um," Coriolanus was lost for words, trying to make sense of everything with so many questions swarming his mind. "is she not already spoken for, Sir? Everyone at the Academy believed she and Sejanus to be quite close."

"The Plinth boy?!" He said incredulously, another laugh coming from his lungs. He was so amused at the thought that he let out a cough, face turning a light shade of red as he composed himself. "Absolutely not. The Plinths are a joke, son. Old Strabo bought his way into the Capitol and made the mistake of believing he was one of us." He grimaced. "That whole family makes me ill, the only reason we associate with them is for the optics. Please, I'd be damned if my daughter, my only child, married someone ... District." He shuddered at the idea.