𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐀𝐖𝐀𝐘 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐋𝐈𝐅𝐄

There is no sense of stillness in the air

The remodeled streets are buzzing with the energy of passersby and vehicles curling the large roundabout surrounding the Capitol guardian. Venus Hummingstill's foot tapped in annoyance at the amount of drivers on the road on a day like today. Capitol citizens going to work or to the shops was to be expected, but in this instance anything ordinary was prone to upsetting the girl. The Avox her family hired did not have the means to communicate, so the ride was silent with only her thoughts nagging her brain.

Staring out of the car window, she swallowed the rising bile down her throat as the view of the Academy was in plain sight. What could he want on Reaping Day? She grimaced to herself, nearly wiping her face in frustration before she remembered the makeup on her skin. She huffed, smoothing out her white silk gown trimmed with blood-red fur. A polished difference from the daily Academy uniforms, since students were instructed to be dressed fashionably but with the solemnity the occasion dictated.

Graduation was supposed to be a pleasant time in her life. Finally escaping the clutches of the Academy with its strict rules and practices with one last project. She would be given her tribute, watch them perish or in the rarity be from a District that gave them a fighting chance, and from there she would continue with her life in never having to hear or speak of The Hunger Games again. University would be Venus's chance to shine, to embark on a journey released of societal pressures and finally come into her own as a woman.

Venus Hummingstill would be free.

If only the last few days under the eyes of Dean Highbottom would rush by.

With a furrow of her dark brows, Venus stalled. Since the arrival of the Plinth family ten years ago, it has been tradition for Dean Highbottom to award the top student of the graduating class with the Plinth prize. The announcement was to be made during today's ceremony, as it always has been, but surely no graduate was surprised by their accomplishment. No, no they must have known they would receive the prize as to ensure they would not drink glasses full of posca beforehand and make a complete imbecile of themselves as their lasting memory in the eyes of the faculty.

That has to be why he asked to meet in his office fifteen minutes before the ceremony, to warn her of her victory after such a demoralizing year. Of course she won what was so well deserved. Of course she would be attending University for free on the dollar of the Plinth family. She earned it fair and square, even with her grades and accolades being wiped clean last year she still was able to push through and land on top.

While in the Districts, Reaping Day was anything but hopeful, however to Venus it seemed as if the odds were invested in her favor.

The vehicle lulled to a stop in front of the grand Academy steps. Upon the aid of the driver, a gentle hand assisted the ambitious girl from the backseat and onto her heel-clad feet. With a dazzling smile, she pulled out a crisp bill from her clutch purse and handed it to him, offering him thanks before dismissing him back to her home.