Chapter 31: The Summit

The air thinned. As we hiked up the side of the mountain, our breaths became shallow and our voices coarse. Sweat rolled down our faces; my moist hair stuck to my forehead and neck. Blood pumped throughout our bodies. My hands were sticky and rough. The crumbling earth clung to my skin. Heaviness seized my chest, and I couldn't help but feel burdened by grief. Claira, who was a few feet ahead of me, periodically checked to see if I was alright, and, every time, I feigned strength. It hurt deeply, but I needed to. I couldn't let her worry. Looking into the sky, my features felt the sun's light. Caressing my face, the light sunk into my skin, and my entire body warmed. Beside me, my ghost followed close. With the warmth of the light, energy pulsed throughout her body. Her beautiful scales reflected the light, shining against the side of the mountain. And her rainbow prism eyes were thick with hatred; the flame of revenge was alight. I clenched my chest, looking deep within myself for answers. Answers to unanswerable questions - Questions I could not speak.

Who are you? I chuckled half-maniacally, yet quieter than the blowing wind. What are you? I grabbed my chest tighter, digging my nails into my skin. What was he to me? My foreign heart silenced, and my eyes grew cold. Tears formed in my eyes as the wind blew. Why did he do this to me? I bit my lip until I drew blood. The iron-tasting red syrup filled my mouth, and I continued to lick my self-inflicted wound. Well. At least I knew I was alive. Claira looked behind, and I tilted my head down. She stopped for a second, waiting for me to catch up. I quickly glance up to see her. She was smiling, but yet, she was in pain. Her face was tight and her eyes were revealing. Her eyes - stale and stern. Anger boiled in her blood. So much anger. My eyes saw right through her façade. I could feel the hatred and the revenge. Both from my ghost and from my dear friend.

The Waywards took too much from them. I was the only one who was displaced. A part of me was with the Waywards, high up in the mountain. At the Summit. Claira asked, shattering the silence, "What's the plan?"

Nodding, I slowed down and sat on the mountain's hard soil. We're close. I can feel it. I need to meet with Ender, and, hopefully, he can help me. Is he the only Wayward I can "trust?" I needed to know the details of the coup. Can I defeat Bane? I certainly can't defeat him without the help of the Waywards... Claira can't know of the coup – she won't trust me. I need to go alone. With a heavy heart, I explained, "Stay here. I'll go to the Summit alone."

"What?" she protested, "I'm not letting you go alone. We're partners." Her cold blue eyes stung.

"We can't go together. I need you to stay behind – I can't allow something bad to happen to you. I'll make sure the coast is clear," I continued. Please, I begged mentally, listen to me.

Claira groaned in frustration, "But, we need to do this together. We'll take down Bane and Aure together! I'm not weak, Aiden. I'm an Aetherial Warrior, remember? It's my job to fight Waywards and those who mess with the power of the Myth."

I sighed, grabbing at the soil, letting the sand-like stones run through my fingers and float with the wind. With sadness clenching my throat with its grimy hands, I spoke softly, "I need to do this alone. Please Claira..."

Realizing she upset me, she sat down next to me. Her brown hair flapped in the wind's breeze. She decided, "Alright Aiden. I'll stay behind. But remember, call my name if you need me. I'll come running." She smiled, and her eyes softened momentarily.

I nodded and stood up, "I'll see you soon."

"Be safe," she whispered, and the wind carried her voice down the mountainside.

Without looking back, I continued my trek. I felt the weight of the world on me. My ghost, interestingly, stayed behind with Claira. I guess I was truly going to be alone. My breath shallowed as I made my way up the mountain. I was approaching the end of the path. Taking in a deep breath, I lifted my arms and let the energy of my heart overwhelm me. I was ready. The sun shined on the plateau-like opening in the side of the mountain. Deep inside, I saw a cave. The Wayward from my dream, Ender, was digging holes into the ground and planting small saplings. He noticed my shadow over him, and quickly looked to see me. Surprised, he gasped and whispered, "You're here!" He got up and patted his palms against his pants. His hands were trembling and sweat rolled down his forehead. He explained under his breath, "Bane is inside the cave. Wearing all black. With your arrival, the coup has begun!"

My breath quickened, and I looked into the cave. Looking into the void of darkness, I nodded my head. Ender added, "I'll be right behind you, warning the others of your arrival."

With light surrounding me, I ran into the cave, lighting up the cavern walls like a bright candle. Ender was behind me, but, as I made it through the cave, I outran him and he was no longer close by. It was so empty. The void seemed to be endless. Suddenly, I noticed a dark figure several hundred feet away from me. Wearing a cloak of darkness, he turned slightly, noticing my approach. I hissed silently, "You..."

Then he ran. The darkness consumed him, and I barely noticed him in the void of the cave. Concentrating my energy in my hand, I formed a blade of light within my fingertips. He was too fast. I yelled, "Stop!"

The void had ended, and he had led me into an opening with the mountain. At the ceiling, a crystal cluster shined with light, illuminating the area. It was a dead end. Cloaked in darkness, he was turned away from me. His head was covered, and his body was surrounded by black cloth. Afraid, I approached him cautiously, with my light sword at hand. With a deep unfamiliar voice, he spoke, "I see you've made it to the Summit, Aiden."

My eyebrows clenched in confusion. That's not the voice I heard in my dreams... or when he took out my heart. The cloaked man turned, lifting his hood off. Smiling mischievously, he revealed himself. His silver hair shined under the light of the crystal chandelier. His eyes were gray and ghostlike. I gasped, "You're not Bane."

He shook his head, and yelled, "Now Ender!"

With that, my body was strangled by thick, deep green vines. As the vines absorbed my energy, my sword disintegrated and my body's energy faded. My veins thickened and bruised, and my body ached in pain and fatigue. The silver haired man walked over to me and touched my forehead. He remarked, "You've gone cold. I guess a bright light can't last forever."

I growled weakly, "Who are you?"

"I'm Halo Arkenheart, the Wayward of Soul," he smiled, looking down on me. He remarked, "Honestly, I thought you'd remember me. Though I guess, as Aure said, you've forgotten most of your memories."

"What is going on? I thought I was going to help out with the coup!" I yelled, struggling to get free. As I struggled, my life energy seeped out of me.

He laughed, "Don't worry, you're going to help with the coup. With your 'help,' Bane will step down. After all, it seems he'll do anything for you."

"What do you mean?" I protested, and, with uncertainty lingering in my voice, I continued, "I want to destroy Bane!"

Suddenly, a familiar, feminine voice echoed through the cave. "Oh Aiden," she began, "We all know you can't do that. Not on your own conscience." Standing on a high boulder, overlooking Halo, Ender, and me, stood Aure, with her blond hair untied and free by her sides. Her wicked face bore a maniacal smile, and her eyes were wide with delight. She chuckled, "Therefore, we can't let you escape. You're mine."