Chapter 29: The Deal of Ice and Fire

Through the eyes of Halo Arkenheart:

While I climbed up the moist and slippery tunnel, crumbling rock residue dug into my nails. I almost fell three times; it was almost impossible to climb into the spring. It smelt of sulfur and the tunnel was as dark as night. Damn it Aure, why did I have to go? As I continued to climb, I heard a cavern waterfall roar within the mountain, and the tunnel was getting warmer. Silent light rays peered into the tunnel - I knew I was close.

When I entered the open cavern, light burned off the darkness that clung unto my soul; the opening at the cavern's ceiling let chunks of light in. Illuminating the springs without magic. The entrance to the spring was a hole in the center of the pool of warm water. Because the tunnel was higher than the pool of water, it was dry, at least until the waterfalls filled up the pool once again. In the tunnel of mountain stone, I gazed around the open cavern, looking for the woman with blue hair - Brine. In the distance, a young woman I recognized was sitting by the waterfalls, brushing her ice blue hair. I stepped out of the tunnel and waded in the warm springs, trying to get to the dry earth she rested on. The smell of rotting eggs filled my nostrils, and I found it difficult to breathe. When I got to where she was, I pulled myself out of the water, feeling the warm clay ground under my feet. I took a deep breath of the humid air and announced, "Thank you for meeting me."

She continued to brush her hair with her eyes closed. Her dark skin absorbed the rays of light, while her cold blue hair reflected it. After she was finished, she slowly opened her eyes and turned to look at me. She smiled disdainfully, "I thought you'd never come."

Biting my lips in irritation, I continued, "Tell me, Brine. Where does your allegiance lie?"

With opened and curious eyes, she smiled, "My allegiance?" Chuckling, she continued, "What's this about?"

My throat tightened, and my eyebrows clenched close. Damn it Aure. Why me? I opened my mouth and explained, "A coup."

"Against whom?" she smiled wickedly, and her eyes shined like ice reflecting light, "Bane?" Her long blue hair began to lift up in excitement.

Liquid thickened in my throat, and I struggled to find words. Her aura suffocated me. No. Drowned me. Her icy eyes ripped at my heart. Suddenly, with the will of the sun's light, I regained my voice and answered, "Yes, Bane."

She closed her eyes and her lips tightened into a light smile. Her rising hair came down, and her intimidating aura faded. Sighing heavily, she mocked, "What a foolish endeavor."

"What do you mean?" My face was tense, and my nervous stomach ached.

She opened her eyes slightly and glared at me, "What makes you think Aure will be any better?" Her nose twitched from emoted disgust, lifting her lip ever so slightly.

Surprised, I protested, "Aure is a better leader than Bane! Bane doesn't let us have our own thoughts!"

She snickered under her breath, "You are so foolish Halo. Aure is a monster."

I puckered my mouth in resentment, and I guessed, "So I suppose your allegiance is to Bane then."

Laughing lightly, she answered, "I have allegiance to no one."

"But you follow Bane," I continued.

"What I am isn't built on loyalty, my ignorant Halo. It is built on selfishness." With those words, she walked away from me, touching the waterfall with her tracing fingers.

I demanded, "What do you mean?"

She sighed in boredom and touched her forehead in aggravation, "Let me speak in simple terms. What's in it for me?"

"What do you mean?" I asked, unsure. The warm air suffocated my thoughts.

Suddenly, a hot hand touched my shoulder. Terrified, I turned back. Behind me, I saw Blair. Her short red hair clung against her cheeks, and she joked teasingly, "You're dead."

"Stop it Blair," I snarled, pulling my shoulder away from her. With my fingers, I felt my burnt shoulder.

Blair walked away from me and went next to Brine. As she did, she turned around and scoffed, "You don't have a sense of humor. How boring..." Her blazing hair and fire eyes burned into me, ripping holes into my lungs.

Brine chuckled softly and continued, "A deal, Halo."

A deal? The sun's light was blocked by the clouds, and the cave darkened. A warm fog lifted over the spring and surrounded us. Nearby, the waterfall roared like dragon thunder. My heart swelled with sadness, and I knew this was a mistake. I cannot make a deal.

My ghostly eyes looked at the two of them, and with hatred, I asked "What is it you want?"

Blair and Brine exchanged a quick glance, and Brine opened her icy mouth, "In exchange for joining Aure's coup, we want something."

Blair added, "Something Bane would never give us."

In unison, they chimed with droning voices, "We want Kana."

My eyebrows lifted, and my eyes widened. I was surprised. No. I was scared. In exchange, I must give them Kana? The warm air clouded my thoughts and my muscles ached in fatigue. Under the influence of the magic of the cavern and the springs, I could not think clearly. I was afraid for my own life and I was afraid to fail. If I came back to Aure telling her I failed, what would she do to me? This heavy air suffocated me - I wanted to escape its dark and influencing grasp. Kana is just one person. The fate of the world is larger than her. I don't think Brine and Blair would kill her... She'll be fine. Either way, I need to please Aure. I need to defeat Bane. These two are too important - we need them as our allies. They are powerful and every ally we gain, we take allies from Bane. Without them, he is one step closer to defeat. Kana is just one person... I'm sorry Ender, I whispered to myself. With my heavy, broken hand, I lifted it toward Brine and agreed, "Deal."

And when she took my hand, I knew the deal was sealed. Ice gnawed at my heart and fire burned my eyes.