Chapter 26: Ring of Light

With my open eyes, I stared at the sky. My tired head ached against the hard stone where I was sleeping. Turning my creaking neck, I saw the morning light shine through the woods nearby, filling the air with light. The fog wrapped around the trees, and dew collected on the leaves. My eyes locked onto Claira, who was a few feet away from me, lying on the grassy ground. Her messy brown hair enveloped her neck and face, and I could hear her soft breathing. She was still sleeping. Our journey to the Summit was tiring and taxing, and every day we would travel as far as possible and camp for the night. But most of the time, we would collapse from exhaustion on the closest surface possible. My tired eyes ached. Lifting myself off of the rock, I remembered my dream. What a curious dream.

            I wanted to wake up Claira, but I debated telling her. I knew she'd be hesitant to trust the Waywards that killed Roeke. To her, they must seem all the same. She is an Aetherial Warrior after all. Instead, I sauntered past her, wondering what I should do. Can I trust Ender? He seemed different. He wanted peace – why would a Wayward want peace?

            My heart burned.

            With my human hands, I touched my chest with my eyes closed, listening for a sound - More than the heartbeat. I wanted to hear the dragon within me. After all, I want to avenge her. I wanted to know what she wanted from me.

            Am I Bane's enemy?

            The looming forest stifled my thoughts. I was going deeper and deeper into the woods, away from where Claira was sleeping. The morning birds flew overhead, and I couldn't help but wish to join them. This Earth was crushing me. With wistful eyes, I searched for the open sky through the interlocking leaves. My eyes sensed the light, but not the clouds.

            I wanted to fly.

            Inside my chest, my heart rumbled, and I closed my eyes to listen. Please help me. All these thoughts, all these apparent truths, all these traps. Who am I to believe?

            Cupping my hands, I tried to collect an unknown liquid, and then closed them when I felt nothing in my palms. My warm fingers swelled with blood. I turned back to check on Claira, but I realized our campsite was out of sight. Sighing heavily, I decided it would be best to go back. It was foolish to think a dead soul could help me. With my heavy legs, I started to walk, but suddenly light surrounded me. I felt my arms fill with energy at light shined in my veins. In my hands, light began to concentrate as bright white flames – I felt her near. I combined my hands together, and the combined flame formed into a ring of silver fire. Then, it jumped from my hands, spinning and hovering away from me, like a halo of smoke. Once it was a safe distance away, it collapsed on itself, forming a ghostly, transparent beast of light. With my dragon eyes, she materialized in front of me. The dragon of my heart.