Chapter 17: Light in Darkness

Through the eyes of Bane Allensworth:

Within the darkness of the caverns, I journeyed, touching the wet walls with my fingertips. The shadows surrounded me, but I continued my path into the depths of the mountain. Deeper and deeper, I went down the slope, feeling the chilling liquid drip down from the ceiling onto my head. When I reached the end, I noticed a faint blue glow resonating from an underground cave. Shadows moved around in the light, and as I entered the cave, I saw the web and the captured beast. The web of bright, blue energy wrapped around the shadowy monster. It struggled hopelessly, as a fish struggles in a fisher's net. I walked close to this magnificent creature of darkness and smiled. It did not give up, no matter how bleak the situation was. A part of me wanted to watch it skirmish and fight as I would watch in pleasure. And yet, a part of me felt pain for the creature. With every movement, the web dug deeper into its inky flesh, melting it slowly. A pool of ink formed at its feet.

It screeched in agony and anguish; it wanted to break free. Break free to fulfill its promise. My eyes filled with awe as I walked closer. What a loyal creature. After noticing me, it stopped moving and dropped its head to watch me. Its eyes were pure black like the rest of its body. I could sense the pain in its eyes. Its black beak opened slightly, cooing softly. I began, "How are you feeling?"

It made no sound, and I continued, "Are you comfortable?" Motionless, it continued to stare at me.

The ink pool grew larger and larger.

"You know, if you keep struggling, you'll melt to nothingness," I explained.

Its black eyes stared at me intensely, and I was frustrated. What a stupid creature. Why would it risk its death to try to reach an impossible freedom?

"Why? Why don't you just give up?" I stared into its eyes, being drawn into its grasping gaze.

Then, a black tear rolled down its eye and onto its beak. After collecting at the tip, the tear dropped to the puddle down below.

What a stubborn creature.

I turned my head away from it, realizing how weakness collected in my eye; this creature had brought me to tears. I wiped the unusual liquid from my eye, and I knew the truth.

Trying to protect myself from this influential beast, I quickly walked away from the cave and to the place I had entered. Concentrating the dark energy around me, I tried to form one of my butterflies in my hand. Yet, the darkness of my creation had faded. Its wings were graying and dry, like a shriveling flower. I turned back to see the beast, seeing it continue its hopeless struggle. With a weight on my chest, I grabbed onto the wet, cool walls with my fingernails. I knew the truth. It was already escaping its bonds, through me. Once I escaped the caverns, its influence would stay with me.

What a pure creature.