Chapter 24: Crystal Cavern

Through the eyes of Ender Glasenfore:

Under the shining light of the cavern's low hanging crystals, we were looking through her collection. It had been Kana's hobby for years now, and I always enjoyed seeing her creations. Inside her wooden box, she kept her new crystal formations. Each one shined with unique energy, unlike typical minerals a miner would seek. It was her doing of course, giving these crystals energy. But I never complained - they were beautiful. Though, in all honesty, when we were together, I spent more time observing her than observing her crystals. Her short brown hair was always pushed away from her face. With her glasses, she'd carefully examine each stone. If there was a defect, she would immediately try to fix it. Her collection of shining crystals, all made by hand, had to be perfect. Everything always had to be perfect. Because of her unique personality, many of the other Waywards could not form close friendships with her. She was too strange for them. But I loved her just the way she was.

As we sat together, Kana would explain the composition of all her crystals, her shining gems. Though I never paid much attention, I always admired her incredible intellect. Just by touching a stone, or a bit of dirt, or a crystal, she would know immediately what it was made from. I guess that was a perk of being the Wayward of Earth. I always wondered how she made her crystals, but she'd never show me. Every time I bugged her about it, she'd say I'd contaminate the sample. Probably true... I'm not the cleanest. It was her obsession with perfection that influenced her to make her collection. Meticulously, she'd work on developing a - perfect - small crystalline structure. Her dedication was admirable, but as a result, she usually didn't socialize with the others.

Kana, realizing I had been thinking too much, called, "Ender, are you listening?"

"Huh," I said, snapping myself back to reality, "Sorry, I was just thinking..."

"Oh, I know," she replied emotionlessly. She pulled out a crystal with teals, oranges, violets, and ice blues from her wooden box. She handed it to me, and I took it carefully, making sure I wouldn't drop it.

"So," I began, "What is this?"

"It's my new masterpiece. I call it 'Letting Go,'" she said with her head down. Then she lifted her head and smiled, "It's yours now."

"What...?" I asked in confusion. "You are... giving me... one of your crystals?" What a rare occurrence! - Actually, it had never happened before. She was giving me one of her most prized possessions.

Kana nodded, "It's yours. Take care of it, okay?"

I smiled and whispered, "I will. Thank you." Our eyes met, and I saw her cheeks flush with redness and energy.

Suddenly, a voice called, "Ender, I need to speak with you."

Kana quickly looked away and worked to pack up her boxes. I turned back to see Halo in the cavern's opening. Looking back to Kana, I explained, "I'll be back."

She muttered, "It's okay, I'm leaving anyway." She picked up her boxes and created a new opening in the wall. She continued, "I'll see you," and she vanished into the darkness of the cave.

Pissed, I groaned, getting onto my feet, "Fine, Halo. You got me alone. What do you want?"

Halo walked over cautiously, looking every which way with suspicion. Once he was next to me, he took my shoulders and whispered near my ear, "It's happening."

"What's happening?" I asked, confused as to the way he was acting.

"We are going to defeat Bane," he smiled, "And Aure will become our leader."

"We?" I questioned, "I don't know if I want to get involved..."

Halo explained with a deep, serious stare, "Ender, we need you! We are going to try and get Aiden on our side, so that Bane will step down. It seems, according to Aure, that Aiden is Bane's weakness. What I need you to do is to talk to Aiden in the Dreamscape, and try to convince him of Bane's wickedness. Please, Ender. I'm asking you as your closest friend. I need you on our side."

I sighed, touching my chin, feeling the roughness of my facial hair, "Fine. I'll do it. But only if this means that the conflict will be bloodless."

"It'll be bloodless, I promise," Halo smiled, but then with a cunning stare, he continued, "if you succeed."