Chapter 30: Believing a Lie

The colossal mountain stood as a lost titan in the sky. Its tip pierced the clouds like a knife through a sheet of white. When our eyes looked on, the gravity of the mountainous sight fell down on us; we were so small. Like ants to the giant – like a grain of rice in a field of golden grass. As the wind fell down on us, our hair rolled back like tumble weed. A spirit of the wind pulled us from the mountain, but our feet were deep into the mud of the earth. We were in too deep. Our hearts' beat ever so slowly – we can't be too loud. In the bright sky, the sun shined and burned as a strong fire's flame. It was a new day.

Destiny. There was no turning back now. The titanic mountain beckoned my name. My body began to shake with the chills of the wind. Claira grabbed my hand, silencing my shivers. With her dark blue eyes, she turned to look at me. She mouthed, "Come on. I'm by your side."

I nodded, and she pulled me to the mountain. Her Pierced Blade was by her side, and her short coffee brown hair floated in the cool wind. For a short glace, I turned back to see her, my ghost, watching me carefully. Her white silk wings were folded, and she was waiting for us. Waiting for us to move. I did not look too long, afraid she would notice. I was afraid to be ravaged by revenge.

All of life weighed down on me. What is this hatred burning in my heart? This hatred and this fear. I was afraid. Fearful that I would become a monster like him. Why can't I truly hate him? Claira realized my withdrawal and asked, "What's wrong?"

"This is it, Claira. There is no going back now..." I whispered into the wind.

The sun watched me like an eye, as a lens for the Gods. Standing as a giant, the mountain of my destiny created a shadow by us. I wondered what Bane would do, when I saw him. Claira tugged my arm, and my eyes wandered to meet hers. She asked, "Are you alright?"

"What if I'm wrong Claira?" I muttered, "What if Bane isn't evil?"

"Why do you say that?" she demanded, distraught. "Bane is a monster, Aiden. He killed Shiloh..." Her eyes became glossy like glass.

I shook my head, "You're right... you're right..." but inside - I knew somewhere inside of me – I couldn't believe the truth. A piece of me still believed that the black haired boy in my memory was alive. Unless, like Aure said, it was just a vision he imposed on me, so that I would trust him.

I can't kill him. No I can't do it. I cannot be a monster like him.

By ripping out his heart, I would be no better than him. As I wondered, Claira pulled me to the mountain. We were so close to our destiny. Once we touched the mountain, the crumbling dirt would mark us. The sun would watch us. The wind would touch us.

She pulled my hand to the rocky side, letting me be the first one to touch it. This was the Alpha Mountain of the Theal formation. I had finally made it. At the Summit, he would be waiting for me, with all of his fellow Waywards. The coarseness of the stone grinded my soft skin and the rocks crumbled to dust into the palm of my hand.

With a heavy heart, I looked up to the sky, seeing the clouds and the mountain side shooting through the cloud cover. Here I was. At the threshold to my destiny. Claira gripped my hand tight and pulled it close to her heart. She smiled, "We can do it. Together."

"Yes, I suppose we can..." my voice trailed off as I pulled away from her and gripped onto the stony wall.

It was going to be a long climb. Close to the mountain, my dragon ghost shook her head and watched me carefully. She knew I was afraid to face my destiny. But I just could not stop shaking. I could not stop believing in a lie.