Chapter 13: Seeing Truth

Shining through the trees, the sunlight touched our shoulders. The tall trees loomed over us as we hiked on the forest floor. The entire woods were silent, as if the animals feared us. Dead leaves wrapped onto our shoes and stones were scattered around our feet. As we continued, the trees' trunks were becoming thinner and thinner. With supply packs against our back, we were walking to our next destination, the Valley Village, where Roeke and Aure would call for reinforcements.

Aure was leading us out of the floor, riding a magnificent white beast. Its coat shined like light, and its features were undefined, almost sketchy. I walked by its side, trying to observe this angelic creature. Resembling a wolf, it trotted along the path, ignoring my curiosity. Both of its ears were poked up and alert. It seemed so alive.

"Her name is Wick. She's a Bright Beast," Aure explained. Embarrassed, I looked up and saw her staring at me intently. She continued, "I guess you don't remember her."

I shook my head and replied, "No, I don't. Did I know her well?"

"She remembers you," Aure smiled, and her lavender eyes glowed violently as the sun's light glossed over them. With a melodic voice, she questioned, "Aiden, what do you remember?"

Looking down, I kicked some rocks in frustration. I described, "When I saw the memories last night, I honestly thought they were real. Besides that, I don't really remember anything..."

"Aiden," she began, "Do you remember Claira?"

I turned back to see Claira walking next to Roeke; ­­both of them staggered with fatigue, trailing behind us. Their heavy legs stomped on the forest floor. As I looked back, I answered, "Vaguely. But her words help me remember more."

She asked, "How about Bane? Do you remember him?"

"How could I forget him?" I scoffed, "He destroyed me."

Her cold, intimidating eyes burned with impatience - a brilliant violet hue. My answers were incomplete to her. Her eyebrows were crossed, and her mouth curled. I could feel anger resonating from her soul.

"Why do you think he did that? Did you provoke him?" she probed, with her eyes locked onto my face. She demanded, "Why did he give you the heart of Light?"

With every word she spoke, I grew more and more distant, sinking deep into my shell. Her impatience revealed a flaw in her character, one that made me suspicious of her. There was something dark inside her, something I could sense. I stared at her carefully and noticed darkness surrounding her neck, concentrated as a black chain. With my new, all seeing eyes, I could see the shadows of her heart. Her original aura was shining yellow like the sun's rays, but her heart was gray and dead; darkness had taken control of it. Her Bright Beast's light was trying to shield her true character, but my dragon eyes saw right through it. After seeing the manifestation of her soul, I knew.

She was a Wayward.­