six.

THE MORNING SUN cast a soft glow over the Capitol, its vibrant hues reflected in the towering structures that dominated the skyline

THE MORNING SUN cast a soft glow over the Capitol, its vibrant hues reflected in the towering structures that dominated the skyline. Vienna stood in the light as the sunrise painted the city in a surreal glow, erasing, if only momentarily, the harsh memories of the day before.

Vienna, having wrestled with her emotions throughout the night, took a moment to absorb the quietness. Arachne's funeral was being held, but Vienna didn't dare to go. It was all too much for the girl; seeing her dead friend would be a challenge. The day ahead of her held new challenges, but for now, she appreciated the temporary release from the weight of the Hunger Games.

With breakfast in hand—not only for Treech and Lamina but herself as well— Vienna made her way to the Capitol Zoo. After the chaos of the night before, Vienna figured it was best to avoid her parents until it was absolutely necessary to speak to them. Vienna felt a mixture of apprehension and determination. She had a responsibility—to guide and support the district boy who had become entwined with her fate.

Walking up to the enclosure, Vienna took notice of the lack of visitors. It wasn't early in the morning, but there were still citizens waking up and getting ready for the day. Even some tributes were asleep on their makeshift beds, which were just dirt and a rock to lay their heads on.

Vienna was met with the sight of Treech and Lamina; both sat on the rock they claimed as their own. As their eyes met, Treech began his walk over to their designated talking spot.

"Good morning, Butterfly," he greeted, a soft smile playing on his lips. The use of her nickname, a name that had become a symbol of their shared connection, brought warmth to Vienna's heart.

"Morning, Lumberjack," Vienna replied, attempting to reciprocate the smile. However, the genuineness in her expression faltered, and Treech, ever perceptive, sensed something was awry.

As Vienna tried to maintain her usual composure, Treech, with a concerned look in his eyes, couldn't help but notice the subtle shift in her demeanor. The smile on his face faded as he observed her closely.

"Is something wrong?" Treech asked, his voice filled with genuine concern. The bond between the two had grown in such little time that it was hard for them to not care for each other.

Vienna hesitated, the weight of the events from the night before pressing on her. She looked into Treech's eyes, debating whether to share the complexities of her emotions. The Capitol's expectations and the genuine connection she felt with them clashed in the moment.

"Everything is as okay as it can get," she said softly as she handed him his food. "I brought breakfast! Lamina, I brought some for you too." Vienna called out to the girl, who was silently watching her friend as his mentor. She adored the two—their interactions were almost like a form of entertainment for her.