prologue

VIENNA tried her best to please those around her

VIENNA tried her best to please those around her. Attending the top school in the capitol was seen as a blessing, but in her eyes, it was more of a curse. She always had to be on her best behavior, if one thing went wrong she wouldn't hear the end of it. Her lavish home concealed the harsh reality of her life — a life tainted by the relentless pressure to excel and be superior.

Raised in a family that valued societal status above everything else, Vienna was born with the belief that she must outshine her peers. Behind the facade of luxury, her home echoed with the chilling whispers of emotional neglect and constant demands for perfection.

She was just a kid when the first Hunger Games occurred, her class had been non stop talking about the occasion. What she didn't understand is why they had to punish the children of the districts— the ones who had no part in the war. Though sooner or later she found out why— her parents made sure to engrave it in her mind.

"Vienna, darling, remember who you are— a Hawthorne. Excellence is expected if you bear our family name," her mother's voice echoed through the marble halls, a command rather than a plea.

Her father's voice chimed in with a stern reply, "You are a reflection of our standing, Vienna. Failure is not an option. You are not district — stop acting like it."

As Vienna grew, the understanding that her family's standing was intricately tied to the Capitol's control over the districts became an unspoken truth, a part of her identity that she couldn't escape. The lessons from her parents about discipline, order, and the consequences of deviating from the Capitol's values echoed in her mind.

Vienna, whether she liked it or not, was a product of her family's legacy, bound by the expectations and responsibilities that came with belonging to the Capitol's elite. To be a Hawthorne was to be a beacon of excellence and a shining example of loyalty to the Capitol— she was a Hawthorne through and through.

˚₊‧ ໒꒱ ‧₊˚