one.

WALKING INTO the large dining room, Vienna wore one of the nicest dresses she owned—a delicate purple dress with puffed sleeves and floral embellishments

WALKING INTO the large dining room, Vienna wore one of the nicest dresses she owned—a delicate purple dress with puffed sleeves and floral embellishments. Her mother had laid the dress on her nightstand the night before, making sure the younger girl knew to wear it for the special day. There were always high expectations for her, but on this specific day, she needed to not only look her best but also be on her best behavior.

Both her parents sat at opposite sides of the lengthy dining table, sipping coffee and swallowing whatever meal they ordered the chef to prepare for breakfast. The two never seemed to sit next to each other, leaving Vienna to question if they even loved each other.

"You look lovely, darling," her mother smiled as the young girl passed by, something Vienna didn't get to see quite often. But considering what day it was, it made sense as to why her mother was so cheery.

The sweet moment soon died as her mother spoke up again, "Oh... your hair is a mess. Maid! Come over here and fix my daughter's hair this instant. Must you were that stupid necklace everyday?"

The maid quickly made her way to Vienna's side, starting to fix the bow in her hair. One would expect this to be an intimate moment between a mother and a daughter. However, this was the Hawthorne household—those types of moments simply do not exist.

"This necklace is special to me, mother" The piece of jewelry in question was a layering necklace, a silver butterfly charm on each of the two layers. Vienna had found it during the war, it was simply laying on the floor, still in the packaging.

"Why don't you join us for breakfast?" her father insisted, looking up from the newspaper he seemed so invested in. Every day, like clockwork, Vienna's father sat at the table as he read up on the news happening in the districts.

"Father, I am afraid I cannot join you today. I thought it was best to make my way to the Academy earlier than usual. After all, I need to make my last good impression," she revealed, wondering if he remembered what day it was. He was always on top of her when it came to the subject; there was no way he forgot.

Her father sighed, folding the newspaper neatly. "Ah yes, it's reaping day. I assume they will be announcing the winner of the Plinth Prize as well."

Vienna hesitated for a moment, thinking of the different ways the conversation could play out. "That is correct, Father. Which is why I must head out now."

"You are aware of what will happen to you if you don't come home with that prize. I didn't buy your way into that Academy for nothing, Vienna," her father gave her a disapproving look.

Her mother chimed in with a harsh tone, "We have invested a great deal in your education, and it's time for you to prove its worth. Do what is necessary to secure your place among the elite."