five.

UPON ARRIVING home, Vienna was met with the disapproving faces of her parents

UPON ARRIVING home, Vienna was met with the disapproving faces of her parents. The atmosphere in the room became tense as they confronted her about a video they had seen—a video capturing the taboo act of her holding hands with her tribute.

The disapproval in their eyes was a heavy judgment, and Vienna felt a sinking sensation in her stomach, realizing the consequences that awaited her. How the hell would be able to get out of this situation?

As her her parents continued to interrogate her, Vienna struggled to find the right words, caught between opening up to her parents or lying about her true intentions.

"Vienna, what is the meaning of the video we saw? Have you lost all sense of decency?" Vienna's Father scowled as he folded his arms across his chest.

Swallowing hard, her gaze shifting nervously between her mother and father. From being trapped in the enclosure to Arachne's death, she was not in the right mindset to deal with her parents.

"Mother, Father, can we speak on this another time? It has been a long day—Arachne is dead and I just want to grieve," Vienna pleaded, her voice carrying a mixture of exhaustion and vulnerability.

Her mother's disapproving stare softened slightly, but her father remained stern. "Vienna, we can't just ignore this. It's a matter of reputation, of our family's honor."

A wave of frustration passed through Vienna's body. She took a deep breath, choosing her words carefully. "I need you to understand, it was all an act. The Capitol loves a good show, and by appearing close to Treech, thats what I was giving them. It was all to secure the Plinth Prize."

What she told her parents was true—it was all for show. At least thats what Vienna kept telling herself. No matter how comfortable and safe she felt with Treech, he is still district. Her only job is to get him to perform and keep him alive.

Her father's expression shifted from stern to suspicious. "An act? Playing with your reputation for the prize?" His eyes bore into hers, searching for any hint of deception

How is it that they pressure her to win the prize no matter the cost—yet when it comes to putting on a friendly act with her tribute, they questioned her choices? The double standards of her parents expectations were baffling.

"I did what I needed to do to secure the prize, just like you told me," Vienna explained, her voice pleading for understanding.

Her mother, for the first time that night, interjected, "Vienna, you need to succeed, but not at the expense of your values. Acting like the districts are one in the same as the Captiol, is a line you cannot cross."

Feeling the weight of the conflicting expectations from her parents, Vienna took a deep breath and decided to change the course of the conversation. With a hint of vulnerability in her voice, she spoke up, "Mother, Father, I understand your concerns. Treech is not just a tribute; he's a person."

What she was doing was a big risk and she prayed she was making the right choice. "Would you consider visiting him with me at the Capitol Zoo? I want you to see what I am working with and why I have to keep up my act."

Her father's stern expression remained unchanged, and her mother hesitated before shaking her head. "No, Vienna. You need to understand the gravity of your actions, the prize does not excuse crossing line we've taught you never to cross."

Vienna had enough, for the first time, she let the frustration take over. "You want me to win, to bring honor to our family, but you refuse to understand I am doing everything I can."

By now, Vienna's eyes began to well up in tears but she wiped them away. Crying was a sign of weakness, and she refused to show to show it— at least in front of her parents.

In the midst of this emotional storm, Vienna stood her ground, straightening her posture. "I'm a Hawthorne, and I'm going to prove it—in whatever way I have to," She declared, a flicker of fire in her eyes. She felt the weight of her family's name, a legacy to uphold even during these twisted times.

Vienna's boldness hung in the air, a stark departure from the obedient daughter they had known. As her father's eyes narrowed and her mother's disappointment deepened, Vienna turned away. Without looking back, she headed towards her room, each step echoing with the newfound defiance.

"Vienna, come back. We are not done with this conversation." Vienna knew her parents were frustrated but she didn't pause. The door to the room closed behind her, leaving her parents' calls fading in the distance.

Vienna sank onto her bed, the weight of the day's events pressing on her shoulders. Staring at the Capitol-themed posters on her walls, she was reminded of the facade she maintained in front of the Capitol—the one her parents taught her at a young age.

The tears she held back in front of her parents now flowed freely. Arachne's bloody body, Treech's struggles, and the harsh reality of the Capitol's influence intertwined in a turbulent sea of emotion. Everything was coming all at once— the guilt, the regrets, and the realization that she no longer was the person she once was.

As she lay on her bed, the silence of the room enveloped her. Vienna understood the necessity of the Capitol sweetheart act. She is a Hawthorne—the best of the best and loyal to the Capitol. There were eyes on her at all times, and any sign of deviation from the expected image could spell disaster.

Vienna knew that being a mentor meant more than just pleasing the Capitol. She had to sustain the facade of a friendly alliance with Treech. It was a balancing act, a tightrope walk between appeasing the Capitol's expectations and ensuring Treech's survival. 

Treech—the district boy she was now bound to as a mentor. Somehow through all the emotions she holds, he found a way to crawl to the top of her mind. His image lingered, intertwined with the chaos of the day.

Vienna wouldn't allow Treech to become just another pawn in the Capitol's cruel game. The Captiol sweetheart act might be necessary, but beneath it, she wished for a genuine connection with her tribute—one that would go beyond the confines of the games.

The memories of Arachne's death and the brutal scene from the enclosure haunted her. It served as a reminder of the cruel ways of the Capitol, intensifying Vienna's determination to do whatever it takes to help Treech survive.

The weight of this responsibility pressed heavily on her, and Vienna knew that every move she made would be scrutinized. Vienna wasn't going to give up—Hawthorne's don't give up.

"The Capitol expects a performance—I'll give them one."

haiii sweethearts!!!

im sorry this is vry short :(
i wanted to have a chapter just for
Vienna's relationship w her parents as
it plays a huge part in the story!
stay safe, ily 🦋