Chapter Twenty Six

We watch as the lines of people go down to the pit. The initiates- now members are forming into a line with the other.

"They can see and hear us. They just don't process it the same way." Max says. "The commands come in through the transmitter."

The people stand in front of the table and in unision- pick up a gun.

One member falls out of line and tries to shake the person out of it.

"Divergent." Max says. He gives Eric the go- ahead.

"Hey. Everythings fine nothing to worry about." Eric pulls his gun out and shoots the guy.

The last of the people head out of the door and pull into the train cars. We head into the last one, filled with people in four rows. I am crammed in between Eric and one of the other leaders.

There are sirens going off as the members head into the streets of the city. Black masses  control the streets; they control Abnegation.

We patrol the pathways, stepping over bodies of the dead Abnegation as we go. Four and Tris are heading right in front of us.

"The legendary Four. Mindless drone. First in your class, now you're... nothing." We walk off but Four stays still.

"Think he might be?" I ask.

"There's one way to find out," Eric says. he pulls the gun up to his forehead.

"Say goodbye asshole."

"goodbye." Tris pulls out her guns and aims it at the back of Eric. I immediately whip my gun at her head, ready to pull the trigger. Four aims his gun back at Max, while he points his at Tris.

"The stiff?" Eric laughs. "Two stiffs." He nudges Four with his gun. "Two dead stiffs."

"We can't let a single divergent slip through." Max says.

"This is what happens. You're not gonna shoot me."  

"Think you overestimated my character," Tris says.

In a split second, Eric is down on the ground, groaning in pain, while Max and I are hit with the butt of the guns.

Max and I take off after them, and I manage to get a shot into Tris.

"Drop your weapons," Max says. they are surronded on all sides. Two pairs of Dauntless haul them into an Abnegation house, one where Jeanine is stationed at.

"Go check up on Eric," Max says. He pushes me away, not allowing me to go inside.

I scan around the area, remembering that Eric is on the main path.

"Eric!" He is still on the ground, graoning in pain and clutching at his leg. I can see where the bullet hit him; its not that deep.

"I'll be fine, I'm okay, jusut go get them." He pants.

"No, Im not leaving you you're hurt," I rip off a piece of a shirt that a dead abnegation wears and tie it around his leg.

"Delilah let's go!" Max nudges at my shoulder. "We have to leave him and keep doing this."

I can hear his footsteps walking away and then stop. "Delilah!"

Eric nods one, then closes his eyes. "go ahead. I love you."  He mutters. I stand up. "I love you too."

"Alright. What's next?" I say to Max.  I can hear my own heartbeat; I am too shaky.

"We keep control of the population. We keep them under check." Max mutters. he points his fingers towards a pair of dauntless who are just standing there. They head off.

The screams and cries and gunshots are now residing in my brain as we take our final wraparound of Abnegation but then our buzzers go off.

"Jeanine's alerted us to something. We have to go now." Max orders.

"I know I heard it too."  A pack of us head onto the train and wait as the buildings passes us. We make the jump onto the member's entrance.

"Alright I'll go first."

"Shouldn't we-" I don't hear the rest of the question as i step off of the ledge.

"Alright go ahead," I shout. The rest follow suit as we make our way down to the room. People are strewn around the floor, all dead. There's even an Abnegation. Wonder how he survived for that long to get into the Dauntless compound.

By the time that we get down there, the Erudite are all knocked out, even Jeanine. The main screens are all wiped out.

The simulation is all over.

Dauntless are screaming and shouting at each other in the streets. Most are confused though at what's happened. 

"What the hell happened?" Max asks.

"They must've gotten away. Whoever did this, they must have." I pant. Some of the Erudite are awakening; I help them to their feet.

"Jeanine? You alright?" I turn around slowly to face her. She is clutching her hand, someone must've stabbed it.

I take it gently in mine. "Let me take care of it," I wipe away at the drying blood and examine it. Its a through and through.

"Can you tell me who did this?" I ask.

Jeanine gasps. I take my time, waiting to hear her answer.

"Tris Prior."

                        End of Book one- Divergent