Chapter Four

I made sure to check up on Four, just as Amar said. It wasn't till Breakfast time that he was informed, with Uriah running up to him and Zeke to tell them what happened. I studied his face, as it's full of disbelief. Then he gets up to run to the building above the pier, where on the ground, Amar's body lies. The other initiates go, probably to the place above the pier.

Eric is the last one of the initiates to leave. As we stared at each other, a smirk came across his face. I just know he was the one to report to Jeanine and made Amar leave dauntless. I just hope that wherever Amar is, that he is safe.

Who knows what is out there? If anything?

As I walk out towards the top of the building above the pier, I spot Max at the back of the ever growing crowd.

"Max!" I called out. He turns to face me. "Deliah, there's something I need to talk to you about. In my office. Now."

He's silent as we both walk to his office on the third floor. He beckons me as he takes a seat behind his desk.

"So I assume you've heard the news about Amar."

"Yes sir. It's such a shame that this happened." He nods along with my words.

"So I have an offer. Well it's more like a demand." He begins to say, but I already know what he's going to ask. "You want me to finish the training of the initiates?"

"Yes. I know you and Amar were good friends so if you could do that it would be great."

I hesitate before saying my next words, debating whether or not to say them. I decided not to as I just nod to what he said.

"You are qualified to run the simulation programs aren't you? Didn't Amar teach you that before sims started?"

"No he didn't sir. He was going to teach me how to do that later this week." I blurted out.

"Ah then we have a problem. Lauren knows how to do them, she'll teach you how to manage them." He sighs, and I drop my head a bit in shame. Amar was supposed to teach me about sims, but we got so busy with the first part of training that we didn't have time to.

"Is there anything else you wanted sir?" I ask as I start to leave his office.

"Nope. Also training resumes tomorrow and you are in charge. Lauren will be there to guide you along since she's been helping Amar." He waves me out of his office and I leave, shutting the door all the way.

As I trudge along the paths of the pit, I keep replaying the events of what happened last night in my mind. Today is an off day for the initiates, then training starts back up tomorrow. I spot most of them hanging around the pit or the bars with flasks in their hands to take away the pain of losing a member of dauntless that they looked up to.

The other thing that replays in my mind is Eric's smile from this morning. He's tough, but there's something about him that keeps him haunting me. I shake my head, trying to get rid of it, but I can't. Finally I give up as I head back towards the offices of the leaders.

326, 327, 328 , 329, 330.  My office is 328; Amar's was 329. The door to his is slightly ajar, so I take a quick peek. Everything is gone, except for the chair, desk and computer. Looks just like mine, just like everybody else. I knocked on Lauren's office door, but there isn't an answer. I walk back to my office and I send her a message.

"I am in charge of the initiates tomorrow and I will need your help with working the simulations. Amar was going to teach me this week, but to the events of what happened today, that will not happen with him. I will be waiting for you in room one tomorrow morning at six am.
                                  Deliah.

I wait for a while, but it looks like she won't message me back. Heading towards the pit, I catch sight of her, somewhat intoxicated, hanging out with her friends.

"Hey Lauren! I need to talk to you about something." We meet in the middle and I'm not sure this is the right timing to talk with her.

"What is it Delilah?" Her words are slurred. "I'm gonna need your help tomorrow with the testing."

"Why?" Didn't Amar teach you about that stuff?"

I shake my head. "He was going to, next week, but that apparently isn't going to happen."

"Yeah yeah I gotchu, now can I get back to my friends?" She starts getting a little tipsy, and so I lead her back to her friends and let them take care of her. She's going to be hungover tomorrow, but that's her fault for getting drunk tonight.  I searched out some of the initiates, and about half of them are drunk, including Eric. I shake my head as I leave the pit and go back to my sad lonely apartment for a night's rest and to get my mind off of Amar.