37

SHINAE POV

An hour later we were back in the courtroom, and ready for the judgement. Everyone was standing up on their feet, looking ahead. Jimin was almost wiggling next to me. I kept hearing his fingers crack, and I was honestly worried he would break them.

'Breathe.' I whisper to him, and he closed his eyes for a moment, giving me a light nod, then taking a deep, slow breath.

'Has the jury come to a decision?' The judge speaks to them

The representative for the jury stood up, speaking clearly. 'Yes, we have made a decision, Your Honour.'

She passed a note with the decision to the judge who read it, nodded at it without showing a single expression on his face, and then he sent it back for the jury to read it.

Everyone, including me, felt like I swallowed a bag of needles. No matter what you do and how much you think you won, it can always go the wrong way. Worse people get away with worse things. Unfortunately.

It felt like hours went by, and like my heart was beating a million miles per second as the silence before the words took over. It was the longest 20 seconds of my life.

'The jury finds the defendant...'

... guilty on all charges.'

The collective sigh of relief from me, Jimin, some of the people in the back, and even some of the witnesses rang in the courtroom.

Jimin nearly fell down in his chair. He completely relaxed and slouched over, supporting himself on the desk in front of him. A few drops of sweat slipped down behind his ear and into the barely existent space between his neck and the collar of his shirt.

'Please, be seated.'

At judge's words, Jimin collapsed down, breathing in deeply. God how I wish I could just hug him right now.

'I would like to say a few words before we part our ways.' The judge started talking again. 'First, I would like to say to Mister Park and Mister Tullings that I am truly sorry that you had to go through this. You are both so young, and you already ended up on the receiving end of such hateful behaviour. I know there is nothing any of us can do to take away what happened.'

Jimin, and Tullings in the back, both bowed to him in gratitude.

'And as for you, Miss Dowen, I have not had a trial in a while that made me this infuriated.'

Did not see it going this way, but pop off judge.

'I listened to all these people talk about the struggles you caused them, and you had the audacity to sit there and snicker, mocking them. Not only did you not show any remorse, but you went as far as to threaten mister Park the moment we left this room.'

Everyone in the courtroom was stunned to hell. Jimin sat up straight in shock, his eyes wide open. He told me he ran into Eleanor, and he told me what she said to him, but how does the judge know? I was going to ask my father, but his eyebrows were lightly furrowed in confusion, too. He had no idea either.

'You see, miss Dowen, the walls in this place are not as thick as you'd think. And if you paid attention to your surroundings like you paid attention to Mister Park when you threatened to ruin his life completely, you would have seen me standing a mere few feet away.'

'I'm sorry, I-'

'I never gave you a turn to speak, miss Dowen. You're gonna listen to me and listen well.' Okay, now he's mad.

'I've had my fair share of criminals in here. I have heard unimaginable things, and yet, they didn't anger me as much as your behaviour did today. I'm not sure if you are aware of how judgement works, but I get the last word here. Even if the jury decided you were by some miracle innocent, I would have pronounced you guilty. And that  is power. Not what you think you have.'