| 十四 |

──❝The Lecturer❞──

──❝The Lecturer❞──

────────────────────

Before long, Lan Qiren strode into the room, his arrival prompting all seated individuals to swiftly stand, a reflexive response to the esteemed presence that commanded respect and deference. "Good morning, sir," Everyone greeted in unison. "Okay, be seated." hummed Lan Qiren. As he unfurled the scroll clutched in his grasp, an inadvertent motion caused it to slip from his fingers, cascading down to the ground. The parchment spilled out, extending its length across the floor, unrolling in a sprawling display. [Y/n] traced the trajectory of the parchment's descent with a lingering gaze before refocusing her attention ahead, her eyes reverting to their original direction on Lan Qiren. He then began lecturing on the rules of the Lan Clan. "House rules of Lan Clan: No fighting privately, no promiscuity, no killing inside the city, no wandering around at night, no shouting, no rushing..." As Wei Wuxian settled into his seat, the tendrils of boredom slowly coiled around him, gradually enveloping his attention as he listened. A growing sense of ennui began to take hold within him. It hasn't even been an hour, and he personally had a taste of the Gusu Lan Clan's oppressiveness and dullness. 

Wei Wuxian's gaze wandered aimlessly around the room until it settled upon the profile of [Y/n]. Observing her deeply engrossed expression, a grin involuntarily crept across his features. Her furrowed brow and the subtle nibbling on her bottom lip bespoke a profound level of concentration, a sight that amused him. Leaning forward leisurely in his seat, Wei Wuxian adjusted his position to gain a better view not only of [Y/n] but also of Lan Wangji. His focus shifted to Lan Wangji, where he beheld an unwavering, solemn dedication in the way he absorbed every word from his uncle's teachings—a sight marked by stillness. 'How can he listen to something so boring?' he thought to himself. Abruptly, his reverie shattered as Lan Qiren slammed shut his scroll, the sharp sound jolting him from his contemplation. The atmosphere turned icy as Lan Qiren's voice sliced through the air, carrying an unmistakable chill in its tone. "I'm reciting them one by one because no one reads them. Let's see who else will break the rules."

The cautionary words seemed broad enough to apply to anyone present, yet a distinct intuition gnawed at Wei Wuxian, suggesting that beneath their general guise, they bore a pointed aim specifically directed at him. 'Is he talking to me?' Wei Wuxian thought. [Y/n] shot Wei Wuxian a sidelong glance, accompanied by a scoff: 'His excuses of ignorance are wearing thin. I wonder when Lan Qiren's patience will finally run out.' In such circumstances, one's thoughts might stray, but Wei Wuxian did not exercise restraint, not mindful to further provoke Lan Qiren. "Since someone is still not paying attention, alright then, I'll tell you something else. Wei Ying!" Springing to his feet, Wei Wuxian couldn't contain his enthusiasm as he proudly proclaimed his presence to the composed Lan Qiren. "Here!" he replied tersely.

Lan Qiren continued, "Who was the first one to prosper their family at the cost of their Clan?" Wei Wuxian smiled and replied tersely, "Wen Mao from Wen Clan." At the utterance of that accursed Clan's name, [Y/n]'s demeanor shifted drastically. Her teeth clenched together tightly, her countenance contorting into a visage of both revulsion and fury. Clasping her fists around her fan, she drew slow, measured breaths, each inhalation a reminder of the injustices inflicted upon her people by the ruthless Wen Clan. Gradually, as her emotions settled, she resumed her composure, allowing herself to reflect before continuing to attentively listen. "What did the ancestors of Nie Clan do?" Wi Wuxian quickly replied. "Butcher!" Lan Qiren continued, "How do spirits, demons, ghosts, and monsters differ?" he asked. Without much thought, Wei Wuxian responded, "Spirits come from living plants and animals; demons from humans; ghosts from the dead; monsters from dead plants and animas." [Y/n] gaped at Wei Wuxian's concise explanation.