Chapter Twenty

Chapter 20 | Caught In The Rain

𝐈 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐎𝐅𝐅𝐈𝐂𝐈𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐘 lost as I went for a jog. Feeling a surge of determination, I resolved to call the Walter house, hoping someone would answer and provide the assistance I desperately needed. After several tense rings, a familiar voice finally answered, "Hello?" It was the one person I had been avoiding—Cole. "Hi," I replied, attempting to mask my unease. "Is Nathan back from the hospital?" I asked, trying to sound casual despite my inner turmoil.

"Yeah, we're just having dinner. Where are you, though?" Cole's voice held a note of concern, and I could sense the genuine worry in his tone.

"I'm lost," I confessed, my words heavy with frustration.

"Are you okay?" Cole inquired, his concern deepening.

"I guess so," I sighed, trying to reassure him despite my growing anxiety.

"Hold on, I'm gonna come get you," the sound of keys jingled in the background, indicating his immediate action.

"Is there anything that stands out around you?" Cole asked, his voice steady and reassuring.

"Creepy white trees," I replied, my voice trembling slightly as I scanned my surroundings.

"Yeah, I know where you are. I'll be there in a minute," he assured me before ending the call, leaving me with a glimmer of hope in the midst of my disorientation.

The rain continued to pound against the windows as we sat in the truck, the atmosphere heavy with tension. I could feel the weight of our unspoken words hanging between us, suffocating the air.

"I'm sorry for what I said to you," I offered, my voice barely above a whisper, hoping to break the silence and reach him.

He turned off the engine and turned to face me, his eyes searching mine. "Remind me again what you said," he demanded, his tone resolute.

I sighed, frustration bubbling within me. "No, I'm not playing this game," I shot back, feeling the sting of our unresolved emotions.

"I'm with Alex because he doesn't treat girls the way you do," I declared, my words punctuated with a mix of anger and hurt.

He scoffed, his expression hardening. "Like I do, okay. '' '' You're sleeping with random girls," I admit . he retorted, his voice rising with accusation. "And you're little miss innocent, flirting with me and then cozying up to my brother," he fired back with bitterness.

The car door slammed shut behind me, cutting through the sound of the pouring rain. I had just uttered those words, hoping to salvage what was left of our strained connection. "I wanted us to be friends," I had shouted in frustration. Cole sat back in the car, his expression a mix of hurt and anger. "Sure, just friends," he replied, his tone laced with bitterness. I couldn't bear the tension anymore, so I flung the door open and stepped out into the storm, the rain immediately drenching me.

"Blair, come on! What are you doing? Come back! You're gonna get lost again," Cole's urgent voice called out from the car. He emerged from the vehicle, his figure blurred by the downpour. "I'll take my chances," I shot back, my voice laced with sarcasm. "This is stupid," he retorted, his frustration evident.

He paused, and in that moment, it seemed as if a surge of truth overcame him. "Maybe you're right. Maybe I have made some terrible mistakes with girls in the past. But this thing with you," he said, pointing directly at me, "I've never felt this way for a girl before." As he poured out his feelings, it was as if a dam had burst, and his vulnerability washed over me. "I care about you, Blair, okay? And it scares the shit out of me. Ever since the moment I saw you at the pool, I've never once stopped thinking about you.'' We're both drenched as the rain hits us. Cole's words hung heavily in the air, his raw emotion palpable.

His confession shook me to the core, finally laying bare the depth of his feelings. "But of course, I could never have a girl like you because I'm just some stupid loser. You're way too good for me," he concluded, his voice trailing off. We stood there, rain pouring down around us, staring at each other in the midst of the storm. His admission reverberated through my being, and in that moment, I realized how much I cared for this boy I had known for only a few weeks.

Without hesitation, I ran up to him, closing the gap between us, and kissed him fiercely, pouring out all the emotions that had been building inside me. He hesitated for a moment, his surprise evident, before responding with equal fervor. This was nothing like our first kiss. It was more than a mere meeting of lips; it was a collision of hearts, a culmination of unspoken longing and the affirmation of a connection that had been silently growing between us. It was as if we had both been waiting for years for this moment to unfold, and now, in the midst of the rain, we had finally found each other.