Chapter Four

Chapter 4 | The Spark

                                              ❀

𝐀𝐒 𝐈 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐂𝐊 on my door, I let out a groan. Who could it be now? I certainly wasn't expecting Cole to come walking in, carrying a tray of food. "Sorry, Blair. I thought I'd make it up to you for what happened with Isaac's stupid snake," he says, placing the tray on my bedside table.

Surprised by his gesture, I slightly smile at him. "Thanks, It's just been a tough day for me," I admit, grateful for his attempt to make amends. "It really has, hasn't it?" Cole looks at me sympathetically. "Especially being forgotten about on the ride home," I tease, referring to the incident earlier.

He can't help but let out a laugh. "Sorry about that. I really should have waited," He says, the tension between us slowly dissipating. "Yeah, you really should have Cole," Cole laughs back, his smile infectious. I find myself smiling back at him, appreciating his light-heartedness distracting me from earlier so incident.

"Let me make it up to you. Wanna come out and feed the horses?" he asks, changing the subject. "Okay, fine," I give in, intrigued by the idea. We make our way to the stables, where we sit up on the fence, admiring a beautiful golden-colored horse. Cole feeds her some treats, and I can't help but feel in awe by their interaction. "She's beautiful," I say, amazed by the horse's elegance.

"She really is," Coke says, his gaze now fixed on me. "Her name's Custard."

I burst into laughter at the name. "Custard? What a name!" Cole defends himself, a playful glint in his eyes. "I named her when I was six, alright?"

I laugh back, unable to resist his infectious energy. "Do you know how to ride?" he asks, his voice filled with genuine curiosity. "I took a few lessons, but then I gave it up. Kinda regret it now that I live here," I confess, feeling a moment of nostalgia.

"Well, I've been riding my whole life," Cole says, his voice filled with pride. "This place must mean a lot to you," I say, realizing the meaning of the ranch to him.

Cole looks into my eyes, his expression softening. "It does, sometimes. I take it for granted, really. It's a beautiful place," he says, his gaze lingering on me.

In that moment, a spark ignites between us. As we sit there, our eyes locked, I can't help but feel a connection forming. I can't help but wonder where it will lead. Suddenly our moment is interrupted by a loud cough. As I look over, Alex stands there with an annoyed expression on him.