Chapter Seven

Chapter 7 | Romantic Gestures                    

                                           ❀

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐄𝐍𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝐀𝐓 the student council meeting was tense as I sat there, having just been elected to the student council against Erin wishes. Ever since she saw me and Cole together, she had this unexplainable grudge against me. But I wasn't going to let that stop me from making a difference in our school.

As the discussion turned to finding ways to raise funds for auditorium renovations, my mind raced with ideas. And then, it hit me like a lightning bolt. "Why don't we have silent auction?" I blurted out, catching everyone off guard. Erin groaned, clearly not thrilled with my suggestion. But Olivia, ever supportive, agreed with me. Skylar chimed in, offering to get his dad's business to donate as well. Erin's disapproval was evident, but it didn't matter. The majority was in favor of the auction as she asked for a show of hands.

                         ❀

The next morning, I woke up early to set up the auction table, feeling a sense of nervous excitement. But as time went on, it became clear that nothing was selling, leaving me disappointed and worried. Just when I was starting to lose hope, Cole, walked towards me.

"You good, New York?" he asked, seeing through my font. "Perfect," I replied, trying to convince him otherwise. His raised eyebrow told me he didn't buy it. Desperate, I confided in him, explaining how if people didn't start bidding, Erin would make my life a living hell which she would.

Without saying a word, Cole walked off, his eyes fixed on the stage as if he had some great idea. A moment later, he called out to Mr. Summerhill, our charismatic teacher. "Hey, Mr. Summerhill, go long!" he shouted, throwing a football his way. Cole, always up for a challenge, egged him on. "Come on, you can do better than that!"

The crowd's attention shifted to the stage, curiosity piqued. Cole, with his magnetic presence, seized the moment. "Big horns, let's hear it one more time for the man, the myth, the legend, Mr. Summerhill!" he declared, his voice booming through the room. "It's been quiet over here at the auction table, so let's hype it up a little bit!" Cole announces.

As the crowd erupted in cheers, Cole's mischievous smile spread across his face. "So now, I need your money where your mouth is. Help us support the auditorium renovation funds!" he shouted passionately, his words resonating with the crowd. The energy in the room surged, and people began bidding non stop

I turned to Skylar, laughter bubbling out of me. "What's going on?" I asked, still in awe of Cole's ability to turn the day around. Skylar smirked, his eyes twinkling mischievously. "I believe we're witnessing a romantic gesture," he replied.

And indeed, as the afternoon unfolded, Cole's began to sell himself which gathered numerous bids, eventually resulting in an elderly woman winning the chance to spend the afternoon with him. As I watched, my heart swelled with admiration for the man who had just single-handedly turned my day upside down.

                        ❀