Chapter Eighteen

Chapter 18 | Vulnerability                      

                                              ❀

𝐈 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃𝐍𝐓 𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐊𝐄 off the feeling of being glared at as I walked through the school halls. Whispers and judgmental stares followed me, and it made my blood boil. The rumors about me cheating on Alex with Cole were spreading like wildfire, and I was tired of being the subject of everyone's daily gossip.

As I tried to block out the hurtful words, I pulled out my phone and saw a livestream of Cole and Alex in the auditorium. They were shoving each other, and the Walter boys were trying to break them apart. I sighed. It seemed like drama followed them wherever they went, and I didn't want to get caught in the middle of it.

                                                 ❀

Later that day, I was sitting with Emily, trying to focus on our homework, when my phone buzzed. I glanced at the screen and saw Cole's name flashing. I hesitated, not sure if I wanted to talk to him, but Emily urged me to answer.

Reluctantly, I picked up the call. "What do you want, Cole?" I asked, trying to sound indifferent. "I'm at the hospital," he said, his voice tense. My heart skipped a beat. "Are you okay, Cole? Why are you at the hospital?" I asked, concern creeping into my voice despite my efforts to stay distant.

"It's not me. It's Nathan," he replied, and I felt a rush of relief flood through me. "Is he okay?" I asked, my worry shifting from Cole to his brother. "They're running tests. I'm not too sure. It's all just really stressful at the moment," he admitted, his facade cracking.

"I need you here, Blair," he admits, his vulnerability catching me off guard.

I felt a surge of guilt at never seeing this side of Cole before, and I softened. "Don't worry, Cole. I'll be right in," I reassured him. "It's okay. I don't expect you to," he said, trying to close himself off again.

"No, Cole. Give it up. I'm on my way," I insisted before ending the call and turning to Emily. "I have to go," I said, gathering my things in a rush.

"Are you going to the hospital?" Emily asked, her eyes wide with concern.

I nodded. "Yeah, Nathan's in the hospital, and Cole needs someone there," I explained, feeling a mix of emotions swirling inside me.

                                               ❀