The Avatar and the Fire Lord

"Katara."

Katara looked around. She was surrounded by a wall of fire. Just an ordinary day in the life of the Avatar.

Roku emerged from the fire. "It's time you learn my history with Fire Lord Sozin. You need to understand how the war began, if you want to know how you can end it. Meet me on my home island on the day of the summer solstice."

"Ok."

---

Mai yawned and blinked the sleep out of her eyes. Ty Lee was standing by her bed.

"What is it..."

Ty Lee held up a scroll. "I found this in Azula's trash can."

"Why were you going through her trash? Better question, why were you in her room?"

Ty Lee blushed. "That's not important. The scroll says, 'You need to know the story of your grerat-grandfather's demise. It will reveal your own destiny.'"

---

"There it is," Zuko said, pointing to the crescent-shaped island. "According to the stories, that was Roku's home."

The team landed and Katara frowned. "There's nothing here."

Toph shifted her foot. "Yes, there is. An entire village. Hundreds of houses, all completely buried in ash."

---

Azula looked at the portraits of the past Fire Lords. Her eyes rested on Fire Lord Sozin.

He'd begun the war, her tutors had told her. He spent his early years preparing for it, but he was patient and clever. He famously waited for the comet, later renamed Sozin's Comet, and used its power to launch a full-scale invasion of the world. He died a very old and successful man. Peacefully. In his sleep.

---

Katara took a deep breath and meditated on the tip of a hardened wave of lava. She closed her eyes and they started to glow, her spirit leaving her body.

---

Aang had a sky bison, Katara had a chameleon wolf, and it turned out that Roku had a dragon.

---

"So what does it mean?" Mai asked, reading the scroll.

Ty Lee shrugged. "Maybe there's something written in invisible ink."

"Then how do we make it visible?"

"Oh, I know!" Ty Lee held it up to a lantern. Writing started to turn visible from the heat of the fire. "The Fire Sages keep a secret history in the Dragon Bone catacombs!"

"Alright then," Mai said. She picked up several knives and slid them into her sleeves. "Let's go."

---

The two walked through the catacombs until they found a sculpture of Fire Lord Sozin attached to an ornate door. There was a Fire Nation emblem on the side.

"I've seen these rocks before. They're triggered by fire," Mai said. She grabbed a torch from the wall and held it up to the emblem.

Fire poured from the statue's eyes, nose, and mouth, and the door slid open. The two girls cautiously entered the room.

A large dragon statue filled the room. Ty Lee picked up the scroll under its head. "The last testament of Fire Lord Sozin."

---

"Come, Katara," Roku said as they flew on his dragon.

"Where are we going?"

"To visit my past. Our shared past."