Chapter 10

(Not) Your Typical High School Story

Chapter 10

I stood there in shock. I hadn't seen this man in over ten years, and he's back.

"What are you doing here?"

"Whoa whoa whoa, I don't get to see my daughter in over ten years and that's the kind of greeting I'm given?"

"That's the kind of greeting you deserve."

"Where's your mother?"

"Aha, don't think you can escape this situation, just like you escaped our family. Life isn't that easy, you can't just leave when you wish to do so."

"I don't know what has gotten into you, and I don't like it. I am still your father and you have no right to give me attitude."

"Father? Ha! That's a pretty funny thing to say. Every time I needed a father these past years, he wasn't here."

"Katie honey?" said mom from the shower, "Who are you speaking to?"

"No one mom!" I shouted in reply.

"Your mother! I need to see her."

"Don't you dare go near her," I said as I stretched my arms and legs out, barricading the hallway.

"Katie, please."

"She's protected me all these years, I need to do the same."

"Honey, you don't need to protect her from anything. I just need to talk to her, sort things out."

"Don't call me 'honey'! I hate that!"

"Your mom just called you 'honey' twenty seconds ago."

"'Honey' is only a term reserved for people who have parented me my whole life."

"You are being sassy and stubborn, and I don't like that. I knew I never should have left, look at this lady that you've become. I sure hope your sister turned out better."

"Stay away from my sister! And I'll have you know, my mom is very proud of the woman I've become, no thanks to you!"

"Katie, why are you shouting?" mom said as she opened the bathroom door.

"No mom! Don't walk into the living room! Please!"

She sighed, "What did you do now?"

"What? I didn't do anything!"

"Oh, I see your mom is VERY proud of the woman you've become," he said as he rolled his eyes.

"Shut up!"

"Donald..." mom said in shock as she walked into the room.

"Mom, I told you not to come here. Please, leave before someone gets hurt."

"Do you really believe that I would hurt anyone?" he said innocently.

"You've been hurting me since you first got here. Now, I'd appreciate if you'd leave."

"Katie, stop," replied mom in frustration, "Donald, why are you here?"

"I needed to get things sorted straight with you. There were some things that were said that shouldn't have been said, and things done that shouldn't have been done. Can we just talk? You and me?"

"Alright."

"Mom?" I replies in shock, "You are actually going to listen to him and take a chance? He left us! He left our family! We obviously don't mean much to him."

"Katie, go to bed. Now. This is a matter concerning me and your father."

"UGH!" I grunted as I stormed out and towards my room.

"Katie?" Allie whispered as she opened her door slightly when i walked by. She had been in her room quiet this whole time.

"Yeah?"

"Can you please come in?" she asked terrified.

"Of course."

As I walked in and closed the door, she ran to her bed and sobbed.

"Katie, I'm so scared," she cried through tears.

"Allie," I said as I ran to her bed and hugged her, "Why are you scared?"

"Because dad is back."

"Oh, you heard all that?"

"It's a tiny little apartment, Katie. Plus you were shouting. The only reason mom couldn't hear you guys is because she was in the shower."

"I'm sorry you had to hear that, kiddo," I said as I ran my hand through her hair.

"Why is he here?"

"I don't know, I think that's what he's discussing with mom right now."

"Ugh, they're being too quiet to eavesdrop on. They must not want us to hear."

"Yeah, dad wasn't telling me. He probably doesn't want us to know."

"Or, he thinks he can tell some sob story to fool mom. She was in love with him before, she might do it again. You, however, he saw how much you hated him and he knew you wouldn't fall for anything."

"So you think he's just coming back to ask us for fake sympathy and to take him back again?"

"Makes sense, doesn't it?"

"Yea, it really does. I can't stand the man."

"I know, mom has been miserable all these years all because of him. The only reason she keeps on trying to be happy is because she cares for us."

"That's right. Mom has done nothing but try with all her might to take care of our family, but here comes this jerk who will probably ruin everything."

"And if he leaves us again, mom will be so devastated. We can't allow that to happen, especially not now. You're going to university soon in probably a different city. And I'm getting a lot busier with school since I'm in middle school now."

"Yea, you're right. If dad leaves again, she won't have anyone else but us. But we'll barely be there."

"What are going to do?"

"We need to find a way to make him leave. We need to make it so he'll never want to see our family ever again."

"Mom would never let us do such a thing."

"Well, what is something that we do almost every day that almost drives even mom away?"

"Fight?"

"Yes! We fight all the time! Mom would never know."

"And if we fight even more, dad will want to be driven away, and mom wouldn't even know we were trying to sabotage her relationship or anything!"

"Allie, I know we are having a nice sister moment right now, but starting tomorrow, we need to fight more than we've get fought before."

~~~~

Like comment follow share :)