Chapter 4

(Not) Your Typical High School Story

Chapter 4

"Hi," I said as I walked into the office, "My name is Katie Edwards. I am here to speak with Mr. Elvin."

"Oh, he's in that room right there, his office," the secretary said kindly.

"Thank you," I said with a smile.

I went and knocked on the door.

"Come in," a voice said.

I came in and something was weird. The principal had his chair facing the wall opposite his desk so that I couldn't see him. Then I remembered the cliche 'letting the back of your chair face the audience at first sight to keep them in suspense of what you really look like'.

"Hi, Mr. Elvin," I tried to say kindly. Every principal in the movies was always some wacky guy.

"He turned around with an evil look on his face, putting his feet on his desk, "You must be Ms. Edwards. You know how I know that?"

"Uhm... Am I the only new girl here?"

"Correct. You are one smart cookie."

I stood silent in thought. I couldn't be the only new person in this big school, could I? I had to think back to all the movies I've watched. A lightbulb clicked in my head, everybody in the movies already had their place. It was just the new girl that had to scramble around. If there were new people, nobody would have noticed.

"So Ms. Edwards, I expected you in my office at 8:05 sharp."

"I am so sorry. I just had a mishap. A student ran into me and--"

"Ap ap," he said while opening and closing his hand as if it were my mouth talking constantly, "Don't care."

Okay, so I had the mean principal. Great.

"I really do apologize."

"Yea yea, take your lock. Your locker is number 129. Now leave and don't be tardy again."

"Yes sir."

"I thought I said to leave. Yet, here you still are."

I walked out immediately. I could've had the crazy goofy principal, the 'I don't care' principal, or even the 'I don't even do anything around here' principal. Yet, I had the evil one.

I walked down the hall searching for my locker number. 105... 112... 120... 129.

I opened my locker and put my stuff inside. I decorated it a bit by putting up some magnets and a picture of me and Jen. Gosh, I missed her.

I closed my locker and screamed. Somebody was standing behind my locker door when it was opened and wasn't aware. But now that I closed it, I could see her.

"Hi!" she said perkily. I had enough of this movie stuff.

"Let me guess. You're supposed to be the perky loser at school that nobody likes. But we eventually talk and become best friends," I said coldly without thinking.

"Oh... I'm a loser?"

I got wide eyed. I can't believe I just said that, "No, you aren't. I didn't mean that. I'm sorry."

"Well, you did say that we could become best friends. And I've been waiting for one of those... For like... Ever. So I'll forgive you."

I facepalmed, "Uhm... Who are you?"

"My name is Erica, Erica Lambert. What's yours?"

"Uhm... Katie."

"Well Katie, this seems to be the start of a beautiful friendship."

I shuddered at her perkiness, "Oh, haha, okay."

"Sorry if it seems like I constantly ramble on. I just get so excited yet so nervous and it makes me do super weird things. Like... SUPER weird, such as, rambling on. It all started when I was younger and tried making friends. I think I made them scared or something with my constant talking. They called me chatty Kathy, which is weird because, as you know, my names Erica, NOT Kathy. And I guess that explains why I don't have friends. I'm just always chasing them away with my talkative personality and--"

"Let's... Just... Get to class..." I interrupted. She better be a very good friend if this is what I'm putting up with.

"Alright! What class do you have first? I have Chemistry. It's not my favourite subject but I'm actually pretty good at it. Like somedays--"

"Me too. I have Chemistry too. Let's go."

We both walked to Chemistry together and the bell wasn't going to ring for five minutes, yet, the whole class was already seated. Oh goddammit, don't tell me the next high school cliche is happening. There are only two spots left. One for the main characters best friend, and the other for the main character. And that main character is always doomed to sit next to--

The teacher spoke, interrupting my thoughts, "Katie Edwards, you must be the new student. You can sit in the empty spot next to Todd over here."

I facepalmed, of course I had to sit next to Todd, the guy I bumped into earlier. This would give us the chance to talk more and eventually become close and live happily ever after. This sucks, I don't even want a boyfriend. Call me old fashioned, but I want to finish high school as well as university before I get involved with anyone.

"Hey you," he said with a smile as I sat down.

I rolled my eyes, "What do you want?"

"Damn, I thought we had such a nice conversation earlier. What did I do?"

"Just leave me alone."

"Sorry, not possible."

"Don't tell me that since we're table partners that we are also lab partners and will and most likely be partnered up to do lots of projects together, making us talk to one another?"

"Uhm... Yea..." he said as he adorably scratched his head.

"Well that's just great."

"Sorry," he tried to say sincerely.

First class hadn't even started yet, and I already was done with the day.

~~~

Sorry for not uploading for a few days.

Like comment follow and share :)