Chapter 2

(Not) Your Typical High School Story

Chapter 2

"So, Katie and Allie, you excited for your first day of school?" mom asked while looking at us through the cars rear view mirror.

"You bet I am! I can't wait to make new friends!" said Allie very enthusiastically. At her age I had already lost my energetic spark but I guess she still had it.

"Eh, sure I guess," I said not as enthusiastically.

"Honey," sighed mom, "Still not happy?"

"Sorry mom, I don't mean to be so grumpy. It's just I always dreamed of spending senior year with my friends and..."

"I understand. It's the highlight of your school journey and I sort of took away most of the pride of it."

"Don't feel like you took it away from me, mom. You had to do what was best for us and although I don't fully realize that right now, I will later on."

She started to tear up, "My girls are growing up to be such beautiful ladies. And I couldn't be more happy. No matter what decisions I make in life, just know that it's because I love you guys, okay?"

"Of course mom," me and Allie said in unison. Although we both had different views on everything, the one thing we agreed on was how much mom cared for us.

"Alright Allie," she said, "Here's your stop. Monroe Middle School."

I looked out the window to see the front of her school and the kids that lurked around. They were all just normal kids. There was no group of 'nerds' or 'populars' or silly things like that. I chuckled as I thought of how disappointed Allie must be.

"Bye dear," said mom, "Have fun!"

"Bye mom!" she said back energetically as she left the car.

"She's super excited about this," I said.

"Yea," mom replied, "I hope she always stays this way. So full of life and energy."

Mom saying this made me get a bit teary eyed. No matter how much mom would deny it, I knew that she wishes that I grew up to be less of a downer and more of a positive and peppy person. It's just that after dad left, a piece of me died inside. Knowing all that time that I thought my parents were in love but actually weren't made me more alert and serious about everything. I decided to not continue this train of thought due to the fact that I was already dreading going to school as it was. I didn't need anymore negative thoughts.

"And here is your stop Katie, John Albert High School."

I took in a deep breath, "Okay, here I go."

"Have fun sweetie."

"Bye, love you mom," I said kissing her cheek before I closed the door and left. Senior year, here I come.

I walked down the long cement path that led up to the front doors of the school, nervous for what it held. Most of the kids were outside at this time, since school didn't start for a while. I, however, needed to go to the office to pick something up.

As I walked down the path, I noticed something odd. The students were sitting on the picnic tables that were lined up on the green dewey grass along both sides of the path just like in the movies... No. Not the movies. Don't hallucinate Katie. It's just a mere coincidence, that's all.

I walked in further to notice that there was something strange; the 'groups' of people that sat with each other. They were really... Classified. Nerds, punks, hippies, hipsters... No... No no no. This wasn't right. Did I get sucked into one of Allie's movies? This has to be a dream. That is the only explanation.

The last two tables right in front of the school consisted of blonde girls in pink and the sporty guys. Oh no... Populars and jocks...

I stood there staring at them for a while in shock. This couldn't be happening. Okay, any time now, my mom is going to come into my room and wake me up from this horrid dream, and I will be going to school with a REAL experience, not one from some stupid chick flick.

The one who seemed to be the queen bee with the hot jerk boyfriend looked back at me staring at her. I immediately stopped eye contact, put my head down, and walked away. This isn't happening... This isn't happening...

This is enough scariness for one day. I need to get out of this dreadful nightmare. I closed my eyes and pinched my arm. When I opened them again, I was still here. Crap.

~~~~

Like, comment, follow, and share :)