Pt10. Roughing It Out

Tails gasps for air as he hooks his arms around you, his tails spinning weakly as the oxygen made it's way back into his lungs. You spit and sputter as you cough up water, the lake unrelenting in it's attempts to drown you. On the horizon there seemed to be a mass of land, the fox's eyes squinting with anticipation as he picked up the pace a bit. The water was calm thankfully, but that didn't make the trek much easier as he battled exhaustion while dragging you along. Without the added pressure of the underwater your arm ached horribly, each movement feeling like someone twisting a knife in your wound. You were used to regulating pain and this was no different... but if you hadn't learned to endure you certainly would've passed unconscious a while ago.

Just on the horizon... Just a little bit longer and we'll be home free... Just a little bit-
Tails' brow furrowed with determination, his breaths heavy and aggressive. The potential of drowning had kicked him into a feral mode, his eyes beady while his thoughts were scattered. His tunnel vision could only see the horizon, and he knew he wouldn't stop til you made it there.

You kick your legs, trying to help him along. Glancing up at him you could see how desperately he was fighting to get you both to safety, his eyes longing for the distant shore. "Let me push for a while, my arm is useless at the moment so it's all I'll be able to do anyways."

His expression softens as he hears your voice, his grip getting a little tighter as his tails spun slightly faster, "We can both do it, we're partners now after all. I can't leave you to do all the work." he huffed between breaths.

It was too much work to argue, either way it was going to be a struggle to get to safety. Perhaps this time speed was better than caution. The sun remained in overcast above, beaming down on both of you. The water kept you cool enough but the exhaustion of the intense swim was quickly adding up.
"Let's get there as fast as we can then, dawdling too much will be the end of us..." You begin kicking harder, gritting your teeth as you poured all your energy into paddling forward.

Tails also picked up his pace, his tails spinning like a motorboat as the two of you shot through the water. The shore started getting bigger, each wave of exhaustion a new promise of drier land. You just had to keep moving, the second you stop you knew you wouldn't be able to get going again. Your legs burn in the water, a terrible numbness setting in as you instinctively kicked. It was hard to tell if you were still going not long after the numb sets in, your muscles moving and tearing as they fought through the vast watery abyss. You feel Tails' grip loosen gradually, the rest of his body beginning to shut down as he gave all he had to his tails. Water splashes onto the both of you, getting up your nose and in your eyes, burning your various injuries but neither stops. In that moment only one thought circulated in both of your minds-

'We're getting to the shore.'

...

After what feels like an eternity you come back to reality to see that at some point you had made it. Did you black out? How long had it been? You look around to see the sun beginning to set. It was hard to say how long it had been as you gaze into the purple-blue sky. Clouds had started to roll in, though you couldn't smell any rain in the air. Your head falls limply back down, greeted with a soft thud as white fur pressed against your face. Your eyes glance up, Tails breathing quietly with his arms splayed out to the sides. You could hear his gentle heartbeat in his chest as your body relaxed and you used him as an emergency pillow.

He looks down at you with a tired hood over his eyes, "We made it, East- we made it..." He rests a hand on his forehead, gently chuckling to himself. You could hear the odd mixture of exhaustion and relief in his voice, a tone that said this was a good thing but there was still so much more that needed to happen.