Pt9. Lean on You

You both turn in for the night, the hours rolling by before day comes to greet you once again. Tails yawns gently, awaking to see that you were nowhere in sight. He gets up and scans around the cave pensively.

Did they run away in the night?

His expression falls slightly as he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes. "Maybe I was being too hopeful huh..." He speaks softly as a quiet sadness creeps in.

The water in the cave ripples across the floor for a moment before a large splash comes from the surface of the veil of water. You burst out and land on the rocks, several bits and pieces of debris in your hands.

Tails looks back at you with a smile, "Oh! Good morning East!" He jogs over to you, "You're a really quiet swimmer! Honestly I thought that maybe you left without me." He chuckles as if it's a joke though there was certainly a trace of worry in his voice.

You raise a brow, placing the salvaged parts on the ground, "We made a deal, I wouldn't back out on that." You turn back to the water, "There's not much down there, mostly small scraps of machinery and glass. I don't know how much use it'll be, most of the exposed wires look to be rusty too."

He shakes his head, "That's alright! Every bit helps, and I appreciate you volunteering for doing all the diving~" He looks at the parts briefly, "These are a great start! I think the wires can probably be salvaged, and between both of us we should be able to figure something out whether we swim or get through the rock face!"

You nod back, "Don't cut yourself on any of those, we don't have any bandages down here."

Tails smiles and nods to you, holding the parts in his hands as you dive back under. He retreats back to his sleeping area, sitting down and looking over the remains. Nothing super promising, some busted glass chunks and a few metal scraps with small electrical connectors on them. At a glance he knew they wouldn't be of any use, but still wanted to encourage you.

We made a deal... Is that really all it is for them? Is that all life is to them? They can be cold but they're also really committed once they set their mind to something... No wonder that echidna in the mask wasn't worried, I feel like they could do just about anything...
Tails sets the parts down, glancing over to where you dove into the water.
They're incredible... Like- if Sonic was more of a loner... and could swim... and was a ninja..

He chuckles to himself in thought. Maybe it was far fetched but he was still really hoping that you would stick around, your absence being felt as soon as he woke up. It was strange, you hadn't really had a lot of positive interactions and this was the most you had talked domestically since... Ever. And yet when you weren't there Tails could feel a sadness in him. Maybe it was because he felt pity for you; maybe he just wanted to help someone on his own in a way Sonic never showed.. His mind traces over your face, your cautious smirk popping into his head. He knew that regardless of the reason he just wanted to see you smile more.... The thumping in his chest seemed to increase as he thinks about it, getting lost in thought.
Working together in my little shop... Man, I can't wait to get back and show them stuff... Maybe I'll teach them circuit boards first? No, that's probably too complicated- But they're super smart so they could keep up! Maybe the structure of planes? Oh! Or how physics can influence the performance of electricity! hmmm...

You tap on his shoulder, causing him to jump. You raise a brow, looking at him quizzically, "I got more parts and set them down below the platform. Are you good-?"

He nods quickly, "Yup yup, I'm great, never better!" He shoots two thumbs up at you, a doofy smile on his face as it flushed.

"Right... Well, I'm going back under again. If you hear splashes and I don't say anything aloud then be on guard. I doubt anyone else will find us here but in case someone does we should be careful." You point to a wall of the cave, a small hoard taking shape. "I'll set everything I find there. If I'm not back during a three minute window after I dive then something happened to me."